1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blue crab

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by kurtro08, May 7, 2012.

1. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I have mounted many different animals and species of fish but now I am starting to get regular calls on blue crab and lobster from the florida keys... well I have been turning them away because I do not have the slightest idea on how to mount them or what to charge...anybody out there have any advice on this.
    Sorry I did not know what thread to put this under.

I was thinking maybe separate crab let it dry some then put it in my beetles and keep a close eye on it. Then maybe filling it with a silicone or some type of low shrinkage caulk to make it stronger. THen run wire up limbs and apoxy everything back to place. I have know idea if I am even on the right track on this one.

2. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Here is a link to George's tutorial that you might take a look at.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,222970.0.html

3. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Thank you I found it right after I posted this. I am sorry for posting before looking in tutorials. But as far as price I am still unsure of. I know Mr George method is flawless but I catch about 6 dozen a week down here in south mississippi so I am going to start experimenting and see what i can come up with.

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

dried crabs are very brittle, so handle with care

5. ray

ray New Member

Here is a photo of a blue crab I did for a guy message me maybe I can help you out

[​IMG]

6. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Listen to George.....he is he crabbiest person on here........LMAO.....In good fun.....Herman Darr can tell you how to do it.......easy, pure money, and a popular local request

7. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Thank all of you ..I figured it would be like handling and egg shell so I plan to be very cautious ....What would all of you recommend price wise

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PULEEZE!!! I've never done ANYTHING that was close to being "flawless". I get $150 for them mounted on a basket lid.

9. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Kurt.....all crabs will not make a good specimen...just sluffed and papershells you need to avoid....they are very thin, and the hardened coat is not there to paint....they will flake, and cause you problems....you need a good hard crab, evident by the dark color or moss on the bottom of the carpace....a frozen, non mountable will flake it's outer shell in the drying process's, and cause all kinds of problems down the road......there are multiple methods described that work for crab people on this site.......everyone has a procedure and thay all will work to a certain degree....IMO, a good cab is a hard crab....I expect a ton of negative comments......make your own choice, and have fun

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

None from me Marshy. Couldn't agree more on all counts.

11. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Great choice of words...and i know what you mean by the different stages the crabs go through i lived on the gulf my entire life We catch crab mostly year round so ill have plenty to mess up :)

12. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

a paper shell is a crab that just shed and is Hardning its shell...a sluffed crab is getting ready to change into a soft crab...........Like Marshy said, a good hard crab will have a dark or muddy color under it...a clean one that is white has a new shell....they usually shed during a full moon.................Herman Darr(CrabCrazy)

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

ray,thats a gorgeous piece,thanks for showing.