1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lesson for beginners

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Arduckaholic, May 7, 2012.

1. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Having started taxidermy almost two years ago I am still very much a beginner and wanted to share a hard lesson I learned. Starting out I had a guy see a couple deer I mounted and asked if I would do a bobcat for him. I said sure bring it to me. Knowing the guy through my actual 9-5 job I trusted him on money. 1st mistake. ALWAYS get enough to cover the cost on materials upfront. Which I do on deer and for some ignorant reason I did not do. Further more on to big mistake number 2 I did not charge anywhere near enough to begin with. And finally the biggest mistake of them all, I did not have any form of a contract at the time written up for him to read and sign. Big mistake because 5 months later I still have a finished cat with a couple hundred bucks out of my pocket here with the "I'll be there tomorrow" response. The things I've learned are write up a contract!!! And get your money up front to cover supplies! The good news is here at my day job it gets plenty of attention and compliments so I guess that's a plus! [​IMG]

2. Yeah that sucks! I think we all have one or two of those stories. Tell him you're going to put it in the For Sale category. Then ,,,, Maybe he will show up and pay up!

3. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Exactly! He has no vested interest in the cat. Sell it.

4. Been there, done that. Still sitting on one buck for over a year, no money down. Let a co worker take his and pay on next check, he got fired 2 days later and never paid and have no idea how to get a hold of him. Lesson learned.

5. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

...like a breath of fresh air.

6. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

For what's it's worth I guess I did learn some lessons. Kinda funny how they will call every week to see if it's done and then when it's ready you won't hear from them. I would like to put it up for sale just not sure if I can since he didn't sign a contract?

7. No contract? It's your cat,do what you want.

8. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

I just dont want to sell it and then catch he'll for it or end up in court over it. But I know I could get double out of it if I did

9. I have lost some good friends by letting them not pay a deposit. The cat is yours do as you please with it. No contract means he can not prove that it is his it works in your favor as well.

10. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

How many people really write up a contract?

11. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Really? EVERY job.

12. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

How many people really write up a contract?
    After loosing a friend this very same way ... no signed contract = no work !

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Me LOL These books are all SIGNED contract for work this season

[​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Ill take some deer head work off your hands if you need haha

15. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

can you get a general contract at staples?

16. Just go to your favorite printing shop,,,,, tell them what you want on them for a layout and how many page copies you want. They will set you up.
    If a warden stops by,,,, he will want to see them!!

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Greg Livbucks on this site is your #1 option
    Already 75% finished with deer :)

18. Brent W

Brent W New Member

I agree that Greg Livebucks has a great Taxidermy form with a basic contract. You may want to check on laws in your state then tweak the wording a bit to suit your needs but Greg has a great form for your shop, he is fast and very good to work with. Shoot him a PM

19. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Had a family member take his deer head from my shop, still has yet to pay me for it. wont talk to me at family functions, wont return my calls never stops by anymore. He acts like its me that took it from his shop. who signs a contract for family? I do now...

20. Arduckaholic

Arduckaholic New Member

Around a month ago was the last time I heard from the guy. I txt him today just said said I need to know when your coming by. I got message back saying whose this? I told him, he said sorry just got a new phone and haven't put numbers in I'll be by this week....... I've heard that