1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wildlife gallery wet tan ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jerry, May 7, 2012.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Been have trouble this yr finish turning ears on deer. Never had this problem before with any of the other 5 tanneries we've used. Its like the end 1/4" of skin is glued together???
    Tryed soaking with no help. Any advise ?

2. I have used Downy fabric softner to help relax dried out areas like that.

3. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Same here. I've tried it too, without any results. It just seems like they are doing something different than the past.

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Maybe we just need to go back to the dry tan????

5. wendell

wendell Member

I use wildlife gallery's wet tan. with no problem ear's are fine.
    mounted two this weekend.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Why are you NOT turning the ears fully before sending the capes out? It is traditional practice to fully turn ears, split lips, nostrils and eyelids prior to salting. They are first salt drying unturned before the tannery ever gets them. It's not the tannery ...

7. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I used to John, but seemed like they would always come back from tanner blown out. I'm talking about turning the last bit to the edge. I do everything properly prior to tanning, and have never had any issues until recently. I've never seen anyone completly turn an ear before salting??

8. Really? Go back to doing it, seems like fixing a couple blow outs would save you time. ;)

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Would be very difficult to salt an ear without turning it. Can you post a tutorial? I would like to see this!

10. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I think you are doing the right thing Jerry, by not turning that last 1/4 inch.

A mass production tannery, like the WLG, will almost always have wet drums, to speed up the processes. The drums are a little tough on ears, but they are a necessity for mass production. That is an "oiling issue". The oil used to oil the skin, is not penetrating that un-split area. Try applying some oil to that area, from the hair side, and let it set an hour or so. See if that helps?

11. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Hammer, I have never had any issues with the way I turn ears until recently, or cant you read? Oldshaver, thank you for your opinion, as it made me remember that one of the WG employees told me they are having trouble with the new oil penatrating the skin. I used to be able to finish my ears with very little effort, and now its like they are glued together, cant even find the edge. Maybe I could try to oil them??

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Jerry, you did correct, it has always been common practice to only turn ears to within a 1/4" of the edge to prevent blowout. I would try oil externally as Aubry said and then internally I would slowly rehydrate as you skin using a mist bottle.

13. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Thanks for your input Mike. I forgot about the oil thing until Oldshaver brought it up. I will give that a try.
    Again, I have never had any issues before. I could always turn the rest of the ear with my thumb nail in a few mins? Always had very nice clean edges?

14. if you havent tried wildlife fur dressing in california Id give them a try, they have an awesome wet tan. I like them anyway.

15. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Thanks, I like twg, but they are doing something different lately, or so it seems to me? Trying some oil right now, hope it works better.

16. gab

gab Active Member

that's exactly what we've done to prevent blown out ears also.almost tip it out,but just leave it a little unturned

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

1. We turn to the tip and use WG, and never get a blow out when returned.
    2. The last batch we got back from them, looks like they were oiled, but only on the surface. As soon as I start thinning the face areas for prep, the leather is harder than normal, and still white in color under the oiled surface. When the oil is right, they cut like butter when thinning.

18. Jerry

Jerry New Member

T, They said the new oil they are using is not penetrating the skin. "kinda just runs off"?? Would it be any different with a dry tan?

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Only WG would know that answer for sure.

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I used to use them, but on my dry tans the skins started coming back rubbery with no stretch. The rugger I send them to started complaining about it as well and said they weren't neutralized well enough and weren't holding stitches very well.