1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wildlife gallery wet tan ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jerry, May 7, 2012.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Unlike a dry tan - which after oiling, goes into a drying room to 'dry', allowing the oil to penetrate the skin as it dries - wet tanning does not sit as long ... otherwise it would become a dry tan. ;) I can only surmise this does not allow the oil to fully penetrate, and therein lies the problem.

And in my 45 or so years in Taxidermy, turning the ears to within ⅛ of an inch of their very edge has been the industry standard, and it still is. Blown out ears? C'mon! You REPAIR THEM! There is a very good article in this issue of Breakthrough Magazine on making ear repairs. I usually always sew ear damage closed. But then again, I use 000 Silk Suture and fine surgical needles. And I don't mind sewing, so ...

One way to avoid ears blowing out is to secure a plastic zip-tie to the base of the ear skin after turning. Don't pull them completely closed tight or the skin will not tan properly, and cut off the loose end so it cannot be pulled any tighter. This will keep the majority of the sawdust from entering the ears, which in turn blows the ears open. Of course this can only be done with a fresh cape/lifesize skin ... those shipped to the Tannery from Africa, have no choice.

I have NEVER had ears blown open during any wet tan process. I have no idea where that is coming from. Dry tanning blows ears open during the tumbling proccess when sawdust fills the ears to bursting ... thus the use of those plastic zip-ties! ;)

The Wildlife Gallery tumbles with corn cob to avoid this very issue.

2. Jerry

Jerry New Member

This is by no means a bashing of twg. I am just wanting to know if anyone else had similar issues. I spoke with a wlg employee, and he said they were having trouble with their new oil penetrating. Thanks to all who added benefical information on the matter.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

If anyone would like to know , call me some time, and I will explain proper wet tan and dry tan procedures. Sometimes I wonder if discussions like this take place in other areas of the forum, other than the tanning section, in order to avoid the posibillity of some folks getting "taken to school"!

4. Steve

Steve New Member

IA
    Jerry, I use their dry tan and am having the same issue that you are, especially on the bottom edge of the ear. It's like it's almost glued together and takes forever to get to the edge. It seems that the whitetails are the worst. Antelope, elk, and coyotes I've done recently opened easily. I think I'll try the oil thing tomorrow.

5. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

they do Aubrey, posts like this in each section, maybe John can teach you a thing or two on how to tan :)

6. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Steve, That is exactly what I thought (glued together) It is taking a long time to do what used to be very simple. Old shaver, Thanks for your imput, cause you nailed it.
    The oil is helping, but still having issues. I also didnt put this in the tanning forum due to thinking it wouldnt have gotten much response. (sorry) Its very evedent that you know alot on the matter, and I thank you again. However, the problem still exists. I'm mearly wanting to save time, and I expect good qaulity when I pay someone to do what they do best.