1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bug Bomb questions (Bear with lice) never used them before.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michelle_Nelson, May 7, 2012.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I got a Bear in last night that that is just crawling with what I believe are lice. They have a tiny white body with a light tan head, about the size of a pen head. I have never had any animals come in to my shop with them before. I didn't realize they were on the Bear until after I hade removed the paws, split, turned, and had salt on it. :eek: Other wise it would have gone right into the freezer.

My first question is will they live on humans?

The main question is about bug bombs. Will Bug Bombs be sufficiant in killing the lice? I've never used or seen a Bug Bomb used. I have heard quite a few of you guys saying you use them regularly. Is there anything special I need to do to prepare the shop it before using the Bug Bombs? Cover anything, remove hides, mounts, etc? Can I set them off with all my salted hides, mounts, and everything in the shop? Do Bug Bombs leave a dust or coating of any kind after they are used that will need to be cleaned?

My plan was to pull the Bear out of the salt either tomarrow or the next day. Hang it on the drying rack and set the bombs off before I shut the shop down for the night. In the hopes it would also kill all the lice on the Bear hide as well as the ones lose in the shop. I just don't want to mess up anything in the shop such as mounts and hides with some chemical (from the bug bombs).

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Treat them quick, lice can get out of control really quick and YES they can get on humans and they are a PAIN to get rid of. Make sure you get something that is geared for lice and that will kill the eggs as well. Personally I wouldn't wait. The bug bombs do leave a residue that you will want to clean off of table tops, tools, furniture, etc. Be sure you don't have any pet water/food bowls out. It won't affect any mounts. At this point they may already have lice in them as well. They will transfer to anything with hair or cloth-like fibers. They itch like crazy too!

3. Michelle_Nelson

The problem is that Bear has been in the salt for 12 hours and the hair side is up against a tarp. If I bomb today I am afraid it won't get to the lice in the hair.

4. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

NIKS LICE......welcome to restoration.........+50%

5. Michelle_Nelson

???

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Read the label on the bug bomb can, make sure you have zero flame's lit. Or you will have a big bomb go off, and no shop.

7. Michelle_Nelson

I'll make sure I unplug everything. Won't hurt my freezer in the least to be off a day or 2.