1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Habitat of the Month!!!!

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by IDForkHorn, May 8, 2012.

1. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

Last Fall, I had a customer bring in a nice Bighorn Ram. He left how it was to be mounted up to me and said "Just make it look cool and make it look unique". So I ordered a couple different sheep forms, stuck them together and had a support stand welded up and I was off and running...sorry about the other items in the picture...other projects I was working on.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the finished Stag base...you can see more pictures of it in the Deer and Gameaheads section under African/Exotic Gamehead of the Month - May 2012 .
    [​IMG]

Sheep Base: I originally started with a nice wood base I had a cabinet guy make me up for me...I could have made this work, and I'm sure it would have come out quite nicely, but my customer did say "Make it Unique..."
    [​IMG]

Wrong thing to say to me. So here is where the fun began...I was out cutting some old root for a Student's project he was working on when I eyed this piece of root and I said to myself..."I think I can make that work as the support for the sheep"... well after some drilling and carving, and a long piece of 3/4 solid square stock, I was ready to see if it was going to work. With the help of my student we set the rock with the sheep on it in place and reluctantly let go and stepped back. It worked...I nailed it on my first attempt. Better to be lucky than good sometimes I always say :). That little base supported the whole mount and yes, it was very stable! I attached a picture of the Student's bobcat on the other piece of root we cut, it was habitat and base all in one. All we did was trim it a bit so it would hang on the wall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How I get these things to balance sometimes is beyond me...
    [​IMG]

After I got it all done, I felt it was lacking color so I added some grass and some small aspen trees...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post a professional picture of the completed piece soon, camera phones only work so well!

2. D.W.

D.W. New Member

Hey Troy those bases are awesome! Glad you posted pics of them. I guess I'm gonna have to make a trip to Idaho for some habitat schoolin'!

3. atvgranny

atvgranny Member

Wow, to all of you.I think I will wait a year or two before I post my habitat :)

4. Here's a first for me. I built a rock face out of 2 inch home foam board. I used tissue paper and white glue on this but next time I might try something that dries harder like fiberglass and resin. Any ideas?.............Thanks, John
    [​IMG]

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice work troy

6. minehill

minehill New Member

Very nice work Troy..that Mulie in the back looks awesome as well!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Happy Memorial Weekend, hope you all had a great time, went camping and it Freakin!!! Snowed ??? Great work so far guys!

Thanks Tyler

8. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

the S word this late in the year, sounds fun

9. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone!

10. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

[​IMG]

11. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Little extra touches like the hair in the fence make that scene a GRAND SLAM..........a good looking deer doesn't hurt either ;D

13. Not to mention the tracks!!! I have been meaning to do that, haven't tried it yet. Going to be doing a lifesize wolf in the next few months, I'll have to give it a shot with that one.

14. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

great work everyone, very fine habitats

15. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Nice job, Troy!
    Very cool presentation, composition. Wow!

16. That is one hell of a piece of art,beautiful,beautiful display and mount !!!!

17. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

Thanks everyone

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Unless you have fawns or does going under or through the fence, your tracks are too close to the fence. Don't make your grasses look so uniform. Other than that, it looks good.

19. m2bowhunter

m2bowhunter New Member

Awesome mshipman! Great job. Im making a tree for a client myself and I need all of the inspiration I can get!
    thanks
    Jeff ;D

20. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

great rack fantastic piece did anybody else notice the piebald legs??