1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, May 9, 2012.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

1) March 28, 2012 a customer walked in with a fish to have mounted. Signs my contract and pays the 50% deposit...made out to my business name.
    2) March 30, 2012 my CU won't cash the check because I no longer have a business account with them.
    3) April 1, 2012 I return the deposit check to the customer with a SASE for a deposit check made out to ME.
    4) Two weeks pass and no new deposit check. Make 3 phone calls over 2 days and get an UNUSUAL recorded message that the phone company
    is having problems and I should calll back later. ???
    5) April 24, 2012 I send another letter to the customer rehashing the issue and asking for the deposit.
    6) Contract states that no work will commence until the depeosit is received, but because of tight freezer space I skinned the fish the next day after he left it and it is now in a bucket of DA.
    7) It is now May 9, 2012 and no deposit check OR correspondence from the customer.

With that background, it is now 6 weeks since the customer was asked for a new deposit check made out to me. I have reveived NO correspondence of any kind. I think I know what I'll do but would like to hear what YOU would do if this happened to you. I really want to be certain that I don't do anything that I can be liable for. Thanks!

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

March 30th I would have opened a new business account at my local bank and deposited the check.

My business name from a legal standpoint actually has my full name preceding it. That way I don't have to go thru the hoops of being under a business name. Anytime somebody writes a check to "Fish Specialties" I simply either have them add my full name above the line on the check or I do it and deposit the check. There's no intent of any wrong-doing. Just open an account at your local bank and deposit the check!

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    x2, Is it the customers fault that you closed the account? If you don't want to open a new account go to his bank they will usually cash it for a fee. Good luck, 3bears

4. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

X3...mount the fish and see if you hear back from him after the time you told him it would be finished.

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

x2. Just open an account within your existing account (like a christmas club account, house account, etc) as a DBA. Your name preceding your DBA name, good to go. Not even a new charge, unless you have checks printed.

6. Sikk

Sikk Member

Got to love financial institutions, I have the opposite problem . My Bank of 40 years won't cash a ck from my business because I do not have a business account, but My CU will, no problem. Mind you, I live in a small rural town of 3600 people. They all know me and where I live.The reason I don't have a business account is because of the ridiculous fees they charge for everything from cks to balances. In my situation, I would mount the fish, hope the customer shows up on schedule, hand him back the deposit ck and ask for a new ck in full. Paul

7. den007

den007 Active Member

The DBA thing works for me with my regular account. You could also send a registered letter that has to be signed for. If delivered, and the guy does not respond, I would keep it in borax and DA forever. If the letter states he has X amount of time to respond and does not, I would trash it.

8. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I know we have had our differences in the past but I have to totally agree with Marty on this one. Also I might add that I take a check or cash on down payment but final pickup is always cash. My 1st year in business I got stiffed on 2 deer heads. Deer heads were gone and checks bounced. Talk about a quick lesson! Turned out one simply wrote me a check from wrong check book and other I think just needed an extra week to get the money together. Ever since then it's company policy cash only on final pickup. I know this is not for all but has worked well for me as I have been extremely blessed and have been paid in full for every job I've ever done.

Also I'd make sure that check goes through before using your valuable time on someone who might not pay in full.. Then follow up with Den's excellent suggestion.

9. FishArt

Steven, that actually sounds pretty funny! Our "past" has consisted of meeting in the forums about a week ago and then arguing for 5 days straight - lol!

Seems like we both have thick skin and have moved on. Glad you're not a woman. Otherwise you would have held things in for a year or two and then all of a sudden snapped on me a couple of years from now leaving me wondering what the heck I did - lol! (Sorry ladies, but it's true!!!) That being said, Perca better get the popcorn thingy out now in preparation for all the ladies I just offended - lol!

10. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

We only have to keep it in because you guys say we nag about everything ;) If I didn't hold my tongue every time my husband aggravated me we would be divorced by now lol :D

11. FishArt

LOL! My wife tunes me out most of the time. I catch her often though when I ask her a question or something and get no answer. I'm like "are you listening to me?". I'm on to her little gig, but it works for us - lol!

12. Steven Klee

Well Marty, the reason I used the word past is because that's exactly where I've put it. I don't think anything is accomplished by fighting. Reading back over things I may have been a little too stern and miss judged your intentions. That being said, I think we are BOTH guilty of letting things get way out of hand by not thoroughly reading posts made previously to our own. I'll agree if you will to start over and give each other the respect we both deserve.

13. Yep, you can put what happened in the past but that's not going to guarantee you won't get in another battle with Marty or some one else. That's what Taxi.net is all about, opinions. Marty and I have battled about things in the past and we get over it, pretty quick, I might add. I think we have learned things from each other. We don't have to agree on everything. How boring would this forum be if we all agreed on everything, yuck.

In my book, respect is something that is earned, not given or expected.

14. Steven Klee

Or ponder this one,

All human beings should be treated with respect, until it is dis earned...

15. FishArt

I concur Steven.

No worries.

Now, the big question. Do you set one eye or two on a wall mount??? LOL!

Sox win another one.

Life is good!