1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

quick easy tip for fixing rubbed spots on deer mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ljones, May 10, 2012.

1. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Very nice ljones! I'm a little confused as I've never used it... is this a liquid or a powder? How exactly is this process done? I see you have a mixture of alcohol and water, would you mind breaking it down a little better...

2. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Thanks for sharing good tip for sure!

3. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

Thanks!

4. Thanks for the tip!!!

5. Lj, does this work only with deer? Is the color of the cape the trick? Too many questions......tutorial please!

6. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Thanks Lj, Awesome tip

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: quick easy tip for fixing rubbed spots on deer mounts

Awesome! Thanks!

8. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Ta~Da,,,, another arrow in the quiver.

Thanks

9. jorgy

jorgy Member

I bought mine at Menards. They sell it as something you use in wells, but a tub will last a lifetime.

10. novicestuffer

novicestuffer New Member

that is why i read so much on here!! thanks for the tip will file it away!! I have a page full of tips and notes from george's and many other folks posts and this on will be written down as well..always nice to have a notebook full of tips/hints/and fixes

11. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Most well drilling/water treatment businesses carry it. Used in filters to remove iron from well water. That's where I get mine.

12. Thank you for the tip. It seems like 75% or more of the deer I get in are like that.

13. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Thanks for the tip!

14. thats cool. I think the tutorial is a good idea if you get the time :eek:;)

15. MAC1

MAC1 Member

Marked! Thanks for the info...

16. So... 50% rubbing alcohol, 50% water and how much of the potassium permanganate? I just got mine in (had to buy in on ebay because no stores/well/or pool supply companies carried it). It is in a dry granule state. I dissolve it in the water first right? Then add to the alcohol? Thanks ;D

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Doesn't really matter as it's suspenced in the solution. I use 1 ounce mixed directly into a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

18. Thanks George!

19. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

this is how i do it , i mix a very small fresh batch every time i use it for rubbed spots 1 table spoon water , 1 table spoon rubbing alcohol then add just a pinch of potassium permanganate this will go on purple and turn brown as it dries , apply it to the rubbed area with a paint brush

20. elkhunter

elkhunter New Member

Thanks. Good tip.