1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing,, how long shld it take for a white tail..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bigbucklover69, May 10, 2012.

1. Bigbucklover69

Bigbucklover69 New Member

I got a question for yas,, whats the average for fleshing out a white tail cape? Im just learning how to do this, from turning the parts to completing the fleshing its taking me around 5-6 hours,, now remember i am really new at this..does that seem like a long time or am i doing ok for now...and one other thing,, is there a place you can send the skin to be fleshed instead of doing it yourself?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

What is an "average",whitetail? Stop worrying about time and worry about thoroughness. I can flesh one in 20 minutes when I try but usually take 30 because I stopped timing myself.

3. Don't be so concerned with speed at this point. Concentrate on getting the skin fleshed properly & As thin as you can get it.
    Speed will come with experience.
    My first few took all day 28 years later 30 min.
    You need to learn to flesh/shave before you start looking to send it out.

4. lol, you beat me to that George.

5. Bigbucklover69

Guess i wrote that wrong,, im not worried about time, i actually am bored after my day job, i was just wondering if 6-7 hours to flesh was a normal start or am i doing something way wrong that i need to change up..and wow george, 20-30 mins, thats amazing..takes me that long just to get it on the board straight, lol

6. 45 minutes for me

7. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Just like anything else the more times you do it with good technique the more efficient you will become. No different than most other things. Stick with it! Wait til you cant leave well enough alone with a fleshing machine and think you can get one more pass on an area and you open up a nice 2-3" hole or bigger..lol

8. X2 on that one !!!!

9. Bigbucklover69

lol nice,, yeah i asked for a sewing basket for xmas thats for sure,, i did my 2nd deer in my living room last night and learned 3 very important factors,,one was when doing the ear make sure the filler goes on inbtween the cartlidge and ear, not threw the center so it falls on the floor and you cant find it until you step in it and your wife wants to kill you.. :)

10. I avg about 45 min but some of these FL deer will only take 20 min, all you do is split things...there is no fleshing and very little shaving at that. lol

11. Just like sex!

12. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

If you asked 100 taxidermist what there definition of fleshing is you would get 100 different answer's. Just ask anybody who has worked in a tannery. Just like one taxidermist will say he can mount one deer a day and another will say he can mount four. To me the process of mounting start's with caping the deer and end's when that deer is ready for pick up, to others it's when you get it back from the tannery to when it's drying on a rack. If you are getting your deer to where there is little to no prep work after tanning then your fleshing time for your first few is not that bad.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Damn Taz. Bummer. The worst sex I ever had was wonderful. Sorry about your luck. Now I don't know if it was that good to the girl involved, but that didn't have anything to do with how well I enjoyed it.

14. paul e

paul e New Member

oh ya try fleshing standing on your head

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

When I started, deer took me about 3 hours to skin off the head and get to the salted stage. Now it takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on certain factors like if the ear is split, etc. This year I got too busy so I hired a college student to skin and flesh for $50 a head.

16. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Wow It takes. Me 10 minutes to cape one off the head and 60 bucks to get it professionally tanned.

17. Justin P.

Justin P. New Member

15 to 20 minutes when in the groove during the thick of deer season.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

10 minutes? Are you fleshing, turning, and salting or just freezing? The nearest tannery from my house is 6 hours away and I'm certainly not going to mail an unsalted hide that far.

19. Ron1949

Ron1949 New Member

You will get faster fleshing the more you do,the first thing I fleshed was a Havelina it stunk bad A friend of mine many years ago was teaching me in his garage,he did'nt know that much we took about 5 hours,was afraid of making cuts,you will build your confidence just be patient now I flesh a wt deer in about 30 mintutes good luck !