1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Found a dead turkey waiting for the DEC to call me back.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jpellette, May 11, 2012.

1. jpellette

jpellette Thanks for stopping.

Hey all:
    I found a dead hen out in the woods today while turkey hunting. Doesn't appear to be sick or beaten up. I've never mounted one however would like to give it a try. Done many mamal mounts and watched a few vids and stuff on here I feel it would be a good one to learn on.
    What do you think the DEC will say, would I be able to keep it I wonder?

I figured it would be a good one to learn on as there's no holes or any damage on it.
    We had a real hard freeze here last night could have been that.

P.S. I'm in NY state.
    Thanks

2. jpellette

Well they never called me back. Either they don't care or they're all to busy. I ditched it, if in doubt, toss it out.

:)

3. jimhow

jimhow Member

Good idea, hens are not in season. I know you probobly already know that, but look at the fur trapping section of this year's NY hunting regs about roadkill, the same logic used would say to leave it, so I think if they HAD called you back they'd have told you the same.

4. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

X2, your not supposed to pick up road kill unless that animal is in season at the time. Plus without knowing how it died I wouldn't mess with it.

5. jpellette

Oh I know was a pretty bird, just not worth the hassle..

6. Most of the time if you pay for a tag regardless of season they'll let you take em home

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I shy away from anything found dead. Here, the West Nile virus has killed millions of birds. I wouldn't want to come in contact with that or any other contagious pathogen.