1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ITEMS NOT PICKED UP .

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by linder, May 11, 2012.

1. linder

linder New Member

I have seen a lot of hand bills through the years and signs in shops that say '' Any item that's not picked up after notification of com pleation will be sold'' now do any of you ''know'' some that sell unclaimed mounts ,I was told that you couldn't make a profit just the balance that's due on it, to,'' you can not sell anything''. how would you handle a situation like that.

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Who's Sean Handel?

3. linder

linder New Member

Sorry.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would love to help you with any questions you have. Unfortunately, I have a policy that states I can't help A-holes so perhaps someone else can answer your question.

5. linder

linder New Member

O.K. I'm sorry Randy, Didn't mean for it to be taken seriously, should not have wrote it that way and to Cole and anyone else that I offended I apologize. Linder.

6. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

I believe this depends on the state in which you are licensed in. From the Virginia Laws;.......... If a mount or hide is not claimed after the return of a signed certified receipt and within the 15-day period, then the taxidermist may sell the mount for an amount not to exceed the remainder of the amount of the original invoice plus reasonable administrative and storage costs. Hope this helps.

7. jorgy

jorgy New Member

There is obviously another post related to this somewhere???....????....????

8. linder

linder New Member

Short story shorter, I asked a quition on here and Randy not meaning anything just pointed out something to me and instead of handling it in a mature way I acted like a jerk and made a rude and uncalled for remark.Cole put me in my place and I apologized to which Randy was nice enough to except.

9. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I am not sure what the laws are here in Oklahoma for a situation like what was stated linder, but i tell you what I would do, I would sell it for the most money I could get out of it. I mean that is basic kindergarten math. You have me do a job, and you don't pay me, shoot what was your is now mine to do with what ever i please.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Selling any mounted animal in my state is a violation that will be fined for an amount of $2,500 or more. A guy from MS sold a squirrel on eBay for $33 and was fined $2,500. You MUST contact your own state wildlife commission to correctly answer your question. Most legal answers you get here on Taxi-Net are merely opinions, and not the laws of your particular state.

11. linder

linder New Member

Thanks all ,I almost got stuck by a guy and now a friend called me from another state and the same guy had ran up a good bill with him and was taking his time of picking up. He finally came and picked up but, Monday a.m I'll now this law for sure I only had that one guy and never had it happen again so I never checked the law, stupid on my part.

12. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

So how do Cowboy decor places sale mounted steers? I have seen mounts for sale all over the place.

13. linder

linder New Member

Me to but I guess it would just be my luck to get into trouble ,all the steak resaunts and cracker barrels around here have mounts in them maybe I'll find out and can post it.

14. wayne70

wayne70 Member

The DNR would have jurisdiction over game animals. A farm raised steer should not matter.

15. linder

linder New Member

learn something everyday,I never thought about that.

16. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

So how do people sale hides,capes on here in the for sale section from all over the nations. I have seen several mounts on there as well. I am not saying that I don't believe the information that is being put out on this post but I will say that i defiantly see diffrent.

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't even feel I should have to respond to the comments in this thread but no one else has so I guess I will.

First of all, not knowing where linder is from makes it all but impossible to answer his question accurately beyond telling him to call his state wildlife agency to determine the legalities. (Which is what he should do) Daniel's first response was almost as dumb as his second one. I'm sorry but the laws in this country aren't what Daniel's kindergarten math tells him they are. Each state has it's own set of regulations to follow, and if you are in business in one of these states you need to learn them. Daniel's next statement about animals being for sale on here falls back to the same answer, it is legal in some states to do this. ::)

18. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Everyone should take note to what JoeyM and Cole are saying. There are a few federal laws, mainly dealing with migratory game birds and protected/endangered species, but as it pertains to the sale of game animals, their parts, hides, taxidermy mounts, ect., but other than, these issues are regulated by the states, and those laws vary greatly from state to state. What is permitted in one state may be illegal in another. You are bound by the laws of the state in which you live. Most states have specific allowances for taxidermists selling items not paid for or picked up - it may even spell out for you the time frame in which you can sell and the amount you can collect. There is only one answer here and I will repeat it...call your state wildlife agency and get informed as to what is legal, and under what conditions, in your state. Anyone who doesn't know what the laws are in the state they are operating in is begging for trouble.

19. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

I just said what I would do, most people try not to speed, I try to speed. So dont be confused.

20. Daniel,
    FACT:
    In Oklahoma it is legal to sell unclaimed mounts after *6 months* from notification in writting to the customer,and they cannot be sold for more then the actual price of the mount.