1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold mold mold

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kevin Jaramillo, May 12, 2012.

1. Kevin Jaramillo

Kevin Jaramillo New Member

Finished my fourth ever shoulder mount customer picked it up...a week later he sent a pic of where he lifted the hide off of skull cap he found mold ...I thought it was my hide paste but its not even 2 months old and I always add a lil pinesol to my glue..I did use paper mache from mckenzie over skull cap....will this mold up if it gets wet........

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. How did he just lift up the hide? ???

3. Kevin Jaramillo

Re: Re: Mold mold mold

His dad spotted the mold on top of the hide cut it open and the mold was spotty on top of mache I told hom to pinesol asap and id pick it up in which I would have proceeded I'm guessing to spray lysol or rub pinesol over the area add paste and restitch

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now THERE'S a piece of work for a customer. Mold can't survive without moisture. That's why I stop using mache decades ago and use Bondo instead. But I do use clay and I'm sure if any of my customers cut that scalp open, they'd find some mold on occasion. BUT if he did cut it open, I'd tell him to sew it back up himself.

It sounds as if you returned the head too quickly after mounting. If the ear canals feel moist, it's not ready to go back. Once that hide dries completely, mold cannot survive.

BTW, most hide pastes have wheat flour (dextrine) in them and this serves as a great food source to mold WHEN WET.

5. Kevin Jaramillo

Sounds about ,I beleived it to be dry for two weeks before finish work but did have a stubborn peice of hair I had underneath a stitch so I re wet this part and add show sheen before he picked it up...I will not ever use mache again...thanks george...this is so embarrasing ..but I learned..so yes he will restitch or bring it back so its done right

6. Pinesol to stop mold???? You need to do some research!

7. Kevin Jaramillo

John this will stop bacteria right..........................

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

What hide paste did you use?

How was the cape preserved?

Like George said, mold thrives in damp conditions...dry it out and get rid of the mold. Nix the mache..

9. Kevin Jaramillo

Its the gallon of paste from mckenzie for 23 dollars it just says premium hide paste ,I got the cape day after kill to cape myself I froze it and sent it for a wet tan at keystone furrdressing in aspers pa, I am now with all your guys help leaning torwards I rushed it into customers hands plus mache being damp and moist ....never again I thank you all for the help mount number 5 for me will have more caution with this prob area ,in the books

10. Kevin Jaramillo

The paste is from trufit,sorry

11. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, let the mache dry before you mount or if lack of time use bondo and clay. That skull cap with mache needs to be dry completely or it will mold. Also make sure your cape is not soaking wet when you mount it. If you have stubborn hair don't soak it up especially on the skull cap over machee. Just card it. Mache has been used forever so you can't say it won't work. Using clay and bondo on every mount will be more expensive than using mache. The only time I use bondo and clay is on a short incision. But other than that you need to make sure that mache is dry before you mount. Good luck and keep at it.
    Regards, Geno

12. Pinesol is a cleaner, not a fungicide.

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

I always add lysol concentrate to my hide paste. I think the others are right about the mache. I don't think the mache by itself did it, but being damp for so long... You should be able to fix it, but like you said, embarrassing. I've never had a problem with mold until last weekend. I had mounted a bear rug 4 days before and picked it up to see how it was drying and there was mold underneath. It was still wet underneath and I hadn't left a fan on it or anything. Never had a problem before, but now I know to allow for air flow underneath or to put it on a dry towel so excess moisture doesn't drain out and create mold. Luckily, mine was fixed long before the customer got it.

14. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Why? The hide paste that I use is quality and has never given me problems..

15. gade04

gade04 New Member

How are you supposed to let the mache dry before you mount? I put the cape on the form, then attach the antlers and mache through the y incision.

16. boarhunter67

I make my mache out of fix-it-all and paper pulp. It dries in about 5-10 minutes. I put my antlers on after the cape as well and this works fine.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually Boarhunter, it does NOT dry that quickly. It may CURE that quickly, but the water doesn't just disintegrate. It's still in there. That's exactly why I switched to Bondo with Cabosil and fiberglass chop over 20 years ago. You put it on and form the skull cap under a sheet of plastic freezer wrap. As soon as it gets hot, you pulll the plastic and shape the skull with a sharp knife or a Surfoam tool. THEN you remove the entire skull cap, pull the hide over the form and then reinstall the antler cap.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Mold can and will grow on clay as well. Anywhere there is organic material, moisture and at least 40 degrees you have a breeding ground for mold. Mache works fine as long as you let it dry. I have heard that adding salt to mache makes it dry faster, is this true? Haven't tried it. 3bears

19. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Mold spores are EVERYWHERE. Fact of life.

20. boarhunter67

George, I did not know that. I live in a very dry climate and have only seen mold the one time and it was because water had puddled under the form as I said. I sometimes use bondo, but usually stick with the mache because for me it is a lot easier to form and clean.