1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Awesome Squirrel Mounts

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by IDForkHorn, May 13, 2012.

1. verne

verne Well-Known Member

that`s the way i like to see them ;) natural .

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

one from a few years ago

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:

3. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Damn! I like that!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Keith, I stand corrected. That IS an "awesome" squirrel mount.

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I think that John illustrated that "awsome" squirrel mounts are just squirrels........ doing what they do!

6. George

Not that JB's head needs to get any bigger but the recreations of newborn squirrels were the best I've ever seen.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Why, thank you George! ;)

8. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

hanging from the rear feet munching on an acorn !!!

9. John - I like that Mother's Day mount and the base is really neat. Keith - very nice mount as well.

Here are a couple mounts Brian Olson put together using 2 of our New Scenic Wall Plaques. Over the past 3 years, we have developed a process and specialized equipment that takes an image and embeds it directly into the surface of the wood, permanently sealing the surface so it is smooth and scratch resistant. This process maintains the high quality, detail and resolution of photo digital images that we license. What Brian did was take 2 mounts he had done many moons ago, dusted them off, touched them up, tweaked the driftwood they were on and attached to the plaques adding some snow on the Winter Scene and the leaf limb on the Autumn Scene. Brian and I thought they looked pretty nice when done, and that the scenes helped the mounts "jump", no pun intended :)

Here is the link to our New Scenic Wall Plaques. http://www.walnuthollow.com/scenicwallplaques.aspx Our new catalog drops later this week.

The Front and Back of a Scenic Wall Plaque

Attached Files:

10. The 2 Mounts

Attached Files:

11. LordRusty

Ohio
    Those plaques are a neat idea. The first one though, sort of reminds me when Wile E. Coyote would head into one of his own paintings on the side of a big boulder!

12. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

John B. Great mounts thanks for sharing photos of your work. Also the drinking squirrel Keith was very nice as well.

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    Agreed ... Keith showed me a picture of the mount when it was entered in a competition, and his attention to detail blew me away. I thought then as now, it is a neat, and well done mount.

14. Here are a few pic's I took this morning of the squirrel we raised and still have visiting us daily. I just walked out back and she came down to pose a bit. Taken with my phone so not real crisp photos but still good reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cute pics, thanks for sharing

16. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I think you need to start by purchasing a motorized "Twirl a Squirrel" bird feeder to use for a base.
    It would totally be worth it! (Can you imagine seeing this at a taxidermy competition??!!?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

edit: It's called a "Yankee Flipper" and it will set you back around $100.00 (yipes!) But I still think it would be worth it - ROTFL!!

17. George

I prefer wrapping parallel copper wires around my feeder. Then I use a 50 foot extension with the female end removed and the wires exposed. Wire on wire to the top stand and the other to the bottom. When I get a squirrel, I just plug him in. It seems to teach them better when it's raining but the damned circuit breaker keeps tripping.

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

HA! And they wouldn't even need cooking!
    Grain-fed squirrel, ready-to-serve - just brush off the singed hair!

(jk!)

'Might be a little too sparky for me if it had leg wires, though ....

19. snowhare

snowhare New Member

AWSOME ;D HOW YOU CAN TALK ABOUT AWSOME ;)THAT LONG LOL :p

Snowy

20. LordRusty

Ohio
    Dennis, you have a cute little friend there!