1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Old?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IDForkHorn, May 13, 2012.

1. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Just was wondering how old all of you were when you started taxidermy, and what your favorite mount that you have done! I was 13 when i started on a bear!

Thanks Tyler
  2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I was 10 when I first got interested in taxidermy. It wasn't until the next summer, when I was 11, that a friend of mine and I put a serious dent in the local chipmunk population with some zealous practicing of our new found "art".

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

14 or 15. I took the notorious Northwestern School of Taxidermy course. I followed the instructions on mounting pigeons. I must've mounted a half dozen of them, and they all looked like crap. I began helping a taxidermist on weekends, and that's where the learning really kicked into overdrive.
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I was State champion at 9, and world champion at 10.
  5. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

The great old age of 32 lol!!!
  6. I was around 28 when I started.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

i started in the womb
  8. I think I was 42, can't remember for sure, I have old timers, or at least sometimers.
  9. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I just started last year when I was 30. Wish I would have gotten into it sooner. But I guess it's better late than never. :)
  10. There was locally owned discount store that had a sporting goods room upstairs when I was a kid. It had a wide and tall staircase leading up with the walls being lined with mounts. I usually only made it half way up and would stop and just gaze at all the animals. I was hooked on preservation after that point. I ended up going the funeral service route while only dabbling with taxidermy when I could. Must have been 22 or so when I mounted my first animal. I'm only 35 and it seems time has sure gotten away...can't begin to imagine how you old timers must feel.
  11. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

12 years old, I started on a red squirel and a weasle
  12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

LOL! ;)

My Northwestern School of Taxidermy Diploma is dated May 23, 1973. That makes me 14 but I started doing it around 12. Pigeons, crows and lots of deer from my old man.
  13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

I think I was 37 when I started as an apprentice, but 39 when I started on my own.
  14. Ron1949

Ron1949 New Member

I started when I was in my early 20,s took N.W. school of taxidermy I picked up a lot of road kills,my first mount was a fox squirrel !I am 63 this month
  15. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

That's so wild, I too am an illustrious graduate of the N.W. School of Taxidermy, class of 1970 LOL! I was 10 when I started the lessons and my first mount was a cottontail rabbit. I did quite a few mounts in those early years and I was pretty involved in it until around 18. Didn't start up again until 2006 at the ripe old age of 46. The learning curve for the changes in taxidermy during the years I was out was substantial, I can tell you that!
  16. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

1969 here and my pigeons didn't even get finished!!!got serious in 1982 also NW School of Taxidermy ahh where would we be with plaster teeth and tongues today!!!??
  17. boarhunter67

Sounds like a lot of you were graduates from N. W. School of Taxidermy. My teacher, Donnie Bennet went there about 30-40 years ago.
  18. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

You didn't actually "GO" to NW School of Taxidermy. They sent you the lessons. You can still buy the lesson books on Ebay....pretty cheap, too........considering what the "course" cost back in 1959.
  19. boarhunter67

Then when you finished they sent a diploma?
  20. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

You sent them pictures of your work and then they sent a diploma........It really was a "joke", because it didn't matter how good (or bad) your work was, you still got a diploma. The lessons were right out of a book from around 1900. Very primitive, at best, even for that day. The "diploma" did look kind of "official"!