1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer skull suggestions?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Relentless, May 15, 2012.

1. Okay, now I've been reading all over the site about cleaning skulls and degreasing and everything but I'm a little stumped here, and I want to do it right since this skull (to me) has a lot of sentimental value and it'll be my first degreasing and such.

A little back-story- I've just gotten into skull cleaning but I have only been doing maceration on small animals... well, my dad had this deer skull in the basement, I brought it upstairs.. and I've noticed that it smells (only when you sniff it though) and it has a lot of grease and some... what might be flesh... Or something. I've never seen something like it so I am unsure.

The skull wasn't found by my dad- a hunter shot him (9 pointer!) and then let my dad have it. I am unsure of whether my dad or the hunter cleaned it though, and I'm not sure how it was cleaned. I THINK it was boiled- but I'm not positive.

Here are some photographs...

This dark spot on the nose area has me stumped. I was thinking blood having leaked into the bone maybe? I am not sure.
    [​IMG]

Is that dark line... flesh? And you can see it is missing a large chunk and all the teeth on that side. My dad says the chunk is somewhere downstairs... but do we know where? Nope. Of course not!
    [​IMG]

Lots of grease...
    [​IMG]

More grease...
    [​IMG]

And MORE grease!
    [​IMG]

Now my biggest question is what the purple-y spot on the nose is, as well as that dark line, and how to get rid of them?
    I macerate other skulls, but I don't really know whether that would be safe here... Hmm.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. :)

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Grease and a lot of it. Look up degreasing and make that your first step. If it was boiled and has been sitting, the grease is well sunk into the bone and will take a while to get it out.

Don't worry about colors till the grease is gone. A lot of or all of the color will be gone by then and the whitening step with peroxide will take care of the rest.

3. Okay, thank you very much!

Any way to tell if it had been boiled?
    I'll have to ask my dad if not.

4. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I've found that a lot of boiled skulls are missing the delicate bones inside of the nasal cavity. It's not always the case but it might be a good indicator - doesn't look like that one has a full nose on it though, from the pic?

The bone might also seem flakey in places

5. Hmm. The inside of it's nose is weird, like nothing like I've seen in a nasal cavity. It does not have a full nose though!