1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing short haired animals

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jamie11, May 16, 2012.

1. I was wondering if anyone uses or has used fishing line for sewing up short haired animals

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Spider wire fishing line works great. Very thin and very strong. The normal filament type is stiffer and will stretch, I tried it once and, personally, I didn't like it.

3. unc

unc New Member

X2 on the spiderwire. You can fray the end and pull it apart giving you thin strong threads, that's great for sewing skinning and fleshing cuts

4. Thanks guys, how about thin skinned animals? Will it pull the stitches out as it drys? I have a fox in the shop now I'm getting ready to mount just want it to turn south I have a good bit of money invested in it. Thanks

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Spiderwire is just too flimsy for my liking. I use Fireline and I keep weights from 10 to 30 pounds, clear and "smoke" for sewing. It will NOT stretch but it will cut the hide if you put too much tension on the thread.

As for a short-haired hide - forget it. Do you or any of your friends have cuts that required stitches? After they heal, you can stll see the needle punctures or stretch marks for years if not forever. You're simply not going to make stitches that won't show without some serious epoxie and air brush work.

6. x2 on the Fireline! Learned it from George through research on here and I LOVE it! :)

7. Thanks George. I have lots of Fireline in "smoke" color ill give it a shot

8. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Thinning the skin is as important as the thread you use. If that skin is thick the seam will look like crap.

9. Well whats the big deal? fire line smoked clear no matter , its never been as hard as taking the plastic niddle point stuff you get at wally world , IT comes in 12x10 sheets, stich the beast as normal take the plastic sheet cut to your liking over the stiching and pin with T pins close to the stiching wait a couple of weeks and pull the pins out remove the plastic and brush ,, no seam no stretching out no problem , warning !!!!!! i dont DP so i cant say it works for that , this method also works on deer at the short cut on anything your steching that you want to lay flat . also works on fox ears just curve it and cut to your liking pace one frount one back us a plastic clothes pin to hold and boom your done , for the fun of it all the small holes in the plastic allows the air to get to the skin no mold no problems , ok now slam me . I got this idea fro RD in one of his demo ideas for fox ears , he was useing door screen amuninum sheeting to form the ears . i just took his skills and knollage and reversed it . thanks for the tip RD i also learn a lot from the bird people the do all kinds of things with wire, mark c