1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a otter

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by coleyounger123, May 16, 2012.

1. coleyounger123

coleyounger123 New Member

I'm getting ready to skin and mount a other and didn't know of anyone has done one that could give me some information on the easiest but right way to mount one and is there a video on one because I couldn't find one for a otter. All information about skinning and mounting this animal would be helpful thank you

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

The "best" way depends on the position you are going to mount it. If you can case skinned would be good but like said what position do you plan on. Also split the tail all the way on these. These are greasy so you need to flesh and de-grease well. Oh Ha also get ready to have some fun

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would recommend reading the tutorial by George Roof in the tutorial section, on mounting a tube skinned small mammal. He demonstrates the technique using a squirrel but the same principal would apply. Tube skinned animals require a little more work in the mounting process, but have a LOT less sewing, and on an otter, it will be a challenge to hide the seam. If you prefer not to tube skin the otter, I would use a ventral cut (up the belly and down each leg) and pose hime so the underside will not show. Flesh and degrease thoroughly and mount him as you would any other mammal. IMO otters are relatively simple, once you get them degreased. Be careful of the scent gland near the anus. Do a search in the archives on skinning scent glands and you should come up with several tutorial photos that will help. I know I have seen them on here in the past. Be sure and use good reference photos to align the face, eyes and ears. If you want to give the otter a "wet look" you can, once he is dry, slick his hair down with hair gel. It will look like he just stepped out of the water. Good luck!

4. coleyounger123

Re: Re: Mounting a otter

The otter be mounted standing up bc a sign

5. coleyounger123

Re: Re: Mounting a otter

Thanks for the information I appricaite all the advice

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

Nickie Carter, Rick's wife, has mounted quite a few including one she won an award for at a competion. She skinned the whole thing out with only making a hole about an inch long in the rear. It was amazing. I tried to find a picture of it on facebook or on here, but couldn't. It was on a faux ice base that lit up. I would recommend George's tutorial as well on case skinning.