1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much 2 component foam do you use per month? UPDATED With Prices

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by vandy81, May 16, 2012.

1. none

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. 2 quarts

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. 1 gallon

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. 5 gallons

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. more

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. I have been working with a Urethane foam company for a few months now and we have developed a new foam that's weeks away from hitting the taxidermy market. It has passed every test i have thrown at it. Very similar to the foam kits available through McKenzie and US composites EXCEPT for the price!

If you guys have any special tests you would like to see, or any comments please feel free to share

Thanks

Justin

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

how does it do in very small batches, in cold weather, in hot humid weather and if you just eyeball it when mixing?

3. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

How small of a batch are you talking about? My smallest test batch was 1oz of each component, that yielded enough foam to attach a change out head, fill a void from a turn. My shop were most of the test took place is 61 deg. I let both components sit out side yesterday and did another test at 80 deg. with no visual or structural difference. I have not tried it below 60 but i will add that to the list. If you have used foam from either of the other two companies listed that should give you an idea of how this will preform the chemical make up is almost identical. I measured out 2oz in one cup and eyeballed the other, as long as you close it will will react just fine.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What pound density is it? And at what growth ratio?

5. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

3.5 PCF with a 600% growth ratio Mckenzie Foam is about a 4 PCF, we lowerd the weight slightly but still kept the strength, rise time, gel time, and tack free time the same while yielding more foam than mckenzie Lower price and more foam per gallon

I told ya it was coming Paul!

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

How much is a 2 gallon kit gonna set me back? I was going to order foam Monday but would like to give your product a try.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Got anything harder around the 5 or 7 pound? That light stuff that expands to much is to soft for large alterations where you need strength.

8. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

Paul, I can make any weight you want 6,10, 15 Keep in mind the rest of your form is still only 4pcf. It's all gonna come down to how well you prep both sides. I have a cinder block hanging on a wt form for a test right now. Prepped it the way you showed me and it's rock solid with 4pcf.

Mike. Sent ya a pm buddy

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use 2 to 4 gallons annually.

10. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

Would you use more if it was cheaper?

11. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

Michael. My pms don't seem to be sending. Feel free to give me a call either tonight or in the morning.
    1-651-494-4227
    Justin

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The quantity I use is totally dependent on how much altering and base making I do. A lower price would be great, but it would not have a substantial impact on my usage.

13. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

I use average a gallon a month for habitats and wall rocks. Would like to try some of this when it comes out.

14. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

What is 10glns going to cost?
    5glns each component.

15. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

I use about a gallon ever two months.
    As Joey said, a cheaper price wont increase the volume i use.
    However a cheaper product of same quality would most definitely move that supplier to the top of my purchasing list.
    Lets get to the horse trading part.
    How much for 1/2 gallon of a & b ?

16. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

We use 4 to 19 gallons a month.How much for Bulk?

17. cht

cht New Member

* like the sound of this.

18. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

Smittys I still need to get my gator and those elk capes down to ya, we'll talk bulk then. Running a few more test for members, i'll be back with a price list in a little bit.

19. Re: How much 2 component foam do you use per month?

Foam will be available in a few weeks. If you would like a large order (10-110 gallon kit) shipped out June 1st please order as soon as possible. PM me to place a large order now, Small quantity orders will be on hand for shipment June 1st

4.98 per pound

1 Gallon kit (1/2 gallon of A&B) 39.84
    2 Gallon kit 79.68
    10 Gallon kit 398.40
    50 Gallon kit (not a drum 25g of each) 1992.00
    110 gallon kit ( 2 55gallon drums) 4382.40

Price comparison 2 gallon kit from McKenzie is 98.75 or 6.17 per pound
    US Composites 89.92 or 5.62 per pound

2oz test sample
    [​IMG]

Weight test 3.5 inches were added to the neck of a ram form. No wood blocks, no rods just one small piece of 14 GA wire to hold the head while the foam set up. The foam was solid with 50 pounds hanging on the head, I finally broke it at 81 pounds
    [​IMG]

20. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Where is the foam coming from ? Need shipping cost via FED EX grnd to MT , 59327 for 10 gal kit /

Thanks