1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesh Eating Disease

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by linder, May 16, 2012.

  1. linder

    linder New Member

    I'm sure that most of you have heard about the young lady in G.A. that has been infected with a flesh eating disease from murky river water ,now another woman in G.A.has contracted another one she was an ambulance driver that had a wound on her calf .She gave birth to twins the first of last week was sent home and noticed the spot getting darker and worst,theyer saying that she inhaled the disease. I got to thinking that your told to allways wear gloves when working with animals [I dont always dumb] but now I'm wondering if that's enough ? and what the chances of getting that from an animal.
  2. Mike Powell

    Mike Powell Well-Known Member

    I can find no record of any such bacteria having been transfered to a taxidermist from his work on animals. It is always a good idea to wear gloves (I don't always either) and to wash thoroughly using anti-bacterial soap. That I do.

  3. tex4k

    tex4k New Member

    I'm not familiar with the two cases you've talked about. Most that I have heard about had brackish/stagnant water involved. But there are plenty enough animal carried diseases to justify the use of gloves.
  4. Justin P.

    Justin P. Active Member

    The only cases I know of are the cases of nitrile gloves in the supply cabinet. Wear them! A lot!
  5. dplais7124

    dplais7124 Active Member

    Re: Re: Flesh Eating Disease

    My dads neighbor is a shrimp fisherman and a few years back he was out on his boat and some rope got tangled in his propeller. He went in the water to cut the rope free and some barnacles under his boat scraped his arm and he contracted a flesh eating disease from it. From nothing more than a scratch. He was hospitalized for 6 weeks and almost lost his arm.

    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  6. Keyda81

    Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

    From what I've read most of the cases involve a cut on the person, and them being in water at some point. It's always a good idea to wear gloves when working with raw flesh. Hand sanitizer is better than antibacterial soap as well. The antibacterial soap takes around two minutes to kill anything, and it will also strip your hands of the good bacteria. Most people don't stand at a sink and wash their hands for two minutes anyway, so it's really doing no good.
  7. ShastaDonegan

    ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

    Yeash! ...this thread makes me want to shower in bleach...just shows you can never be too careful.
  8. Justin P.

    Justin P. Active Member

    Google images of flesh eating diseases. You might skip lunch today.
  9. linder

    linder New Member

    No thanks, The first girl that I mentioned has lost her left leg ,her fingers and possibly part of her torso and they thought she was going to lose her right foot .A tearable story but the family is just glad that she is alive, she is a beautiful young lady that held down to jobs was in collage but she was on a home made zip line and fell in that water and had to have two dozen Staples to seal it up then got this,I don't even want to go outside.
  10. Allie

    Allie Member

    Be careful, that tile in the bathroom is slick when it's wet!
  11. Necrotizing fasciitis , We all carry this bacteria, what happens is our own system is in poor shape, we get a cut or scrape and the bacteria enters the skin, spreading on the plain of the subcutaneous membrane. and the good bacteria in out body is not strong enough to fight it off. You carry this bad bacteria between your toes, back of the knees, everywhere. Its already there on your body and you can do nothing about it.

    Thats why yes if you get a cut you scrub and scrub with beta-dine, bet none of you have it in the shop do you? Pour 3% [email protected] on the cut to kill the bacteria.
    Flesh-eating bacteria" is a misnomer, as the bacteria do not actually "eat" the tissue. They cause the destruction of skin and muscle by releasing toxins (virulence factors), which include streptococcal pyogenic exotoxins. S. pyogenes produces an exotoxin known as a superantigen. This toxin is capable of activating T-cells non-specifically, which causes the overproduction of cytokines and severe systemic illness
  12. MichaelG

    MichaelG TRAINEE

    Nevermind what you can get in the wild. Check out the dangers from stepping on one of those new energy saving light bulbs. **** Warning - Graphic Images ****

  13. ShastaDonegan

    ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

    Holy mother of god! ...Almost every light in my house has an energy saving light bulb in it.
  14. u2cme21999

    u2cme21999 New Member

    A good friend of my wife and I has just had her leg taken off from this disease,It spreads very quick,started out as a rash on her leg,they had as of yesterday operated again up into her torso and they say at least 5 to 7 more operations before it will be over.As far as we know she didn't have a cut ,just a rash and sore leg.please keep her in your prayers .
  15. linder

    linder New Member

    you got it,now the Atlanta news is reporting a third case,A landscaper here fell and got her while cutting a tree went to the hospital was treated but wouldn't stay now he's had four surgeries and about 4 pounds of flesh removed. I guess this should have been under ''Current-Event'' just posted here for everyone old and new to taxidermy to realize the potential danger out there.
  16. Ron1949

    Ron1949 New Member

    Always use gloves,got an infection fleshing a hog I cut my finger while fleshing washed right away put antibiotic on it was not using gloves I got a bad infection thought I was going to lose my finger thats the only time I had a problem in all the years in taxidermy I use them all the time!
  17. My uncle had this and went through several skin grafts before they finally took. He didn't get it from any dead animals.
  18. Well, you're comparing two different end results, clean and sanitized. Both kill good bacteria. One product does 2 things....cleans and sanitizes, the other sanitizes. The triclosan(likely active ingredient) in antibacterial soaps hangs around and continues to kill bacteria. Alcohol causes the cell membrane to disintegrate. Triclosan interferes with bacterial processes. The alcohol in the sanitizer is done killing bacteria when it evaporates. Sure, alcohol kills quicker than triclosan, but it's kinda like saying gasoline will kill termites quicker than termite poison. Well, sure it will...but the poison will keep killing because it's still there. So, the antibacterial soap may need two minutes to kill bacteria, but you won't need to wash your hands for 2 minutes for it to work.

    Both antibacterial soaps and sanitizer have their place. But, only one of them cleans.
  19. Cecil

    Cecil Well-Known Member

    As someone who was one semester short of being an RN (I opted for taxidermy) I'll bet anything this crap is in the hospital and she may even have picked it up there. Lots of bad stuff in hospitals that are very antibiotic resistant. Don't go to a hospital unless you really have to. I'd definitely stay away from that Atlanta hospital.

    Interestingly if the report I saw was correct the bacteria is Aeromonas hydrophila. I've seen this same genus species on fish and it does the same thing to the fish. I believe fish that are not stressed or have a compromised immune system don't have any problems with it. It makes me think the people that come down with it not only may pick it up in the hospital but their immune systems may be weak for whatever reason.

    Sounds like the media is milking this thing for all it's worth though. It doesn't have to be very common to make the news and to make it appear we are all at risk.
  20. Sea Wolf

    Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

    Old post but I just saw this. As for the injury being from a light bulb .. not true. Always type something into Google to check and see if there is further info on it. Even incredible sounding Facebook links. As for Facebook posts, you will find that many are scams or traps BEFORE you click on it and get caught.