1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best way to skin for half mount bear ?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by elk74, May 17, 2012.

1. I do not do many bears, so I would like to hear from guys that do alot of bears,what is the best way to skin a bear for a 1/2 life size mount? Thank you very much.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just like you do for a lifesize. And DON'T cut the hide. You may need as much as 3/4 of that hide according to the pose your customer chooses. I send the hides out and have them tanned lifesize. (And no, it doesn't cost extra. I built that cost right into my price on all bears I do.

3. Thanks for the fast reply George.I guess what I am asking is do most guys prefer a dorsal or a belly cut ?Like I said I havent done too many bears though Ive done lots of coons and bobcat sized animals and prefer the dorsal cut. Thanks .

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Unless you're going to shoot it and skin it yourself, you'll find that nearly every bear hide you get it will be "rug cut" or ventral cut. I wish they'd tube them so I could cut it to accommodate the the form I need, but that's not reality. MOST half-lifesizes will work well with the rug cut. Those "semi-uprights" are just going to be a PITA.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I concur, we don't even care anymore, just sew them up where they were cut. It isn't a concern anymore, sure we would love a bear cut right once in a while,, but that would be asking to much.

6. Thanks guys for the replies.Was just curious as to what most guys would prefer.Thanks again.

7. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

if i skin it myself i do a dorsal cut. But most are skinned when i get them and it's usually a belly cut.