1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Got my new Woods and Water paint!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, May 19, 2012.

1. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Well can't wait to try them out with the velocity! They have a real good color selection. If you have any tips that would be great. Look real nice!

Ken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

As soon as you try them out, you will want to get rid of most of the other stuff you have been using.

3. linder

linder New Member

That good ?

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Without a doubt......

Without a doubt the best paint I have ever used.

:)

Kerby...

5. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Where are you buying the paints from? Google only shows me from badger or amazon.

edited................found it at WASCO on my second search.

I had a yard sale yesterday just to pay for paints i've been wanting to buy. I was going to buy Liftones but the I can't ignore all the positive feedback they are getting here.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Best advice I could recommened is MAYBE keep your Polytranspar Superhide White until it's gone. But, if you're using any other brand of white, toss it right now - lol!

All of their paints are very user friendly. I'll always have a mixture of the W&W paints and Hydromist as I still like some of the colors Hydromist offers. But as far as pushing paint thru an airbrush the W&W paints are tops!

7. garyc71

garyc71 New Member

I agree with Marty 100%. These paints are so nice to work with, highly recomended!!

8. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks guys for the tips. I just ran out of all of my old polytranspar paints and had a chance to get some and try them out. Haven't gotten around to try them out yet. Will test them tomorrow. Thanks for the tips guys!

Ken

9. Sure hard to cut loose and buy another brand when you have $100s of $$$$ of others!!!!! :D Got to run out some day!!!!! :p

10. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I love the consistency and they real do spray like Lacquers! I use them in the DVDs and when I teach because they are great to spray! Give them a try you'll be convinced as I am how much they can really make an impact on your work!

Have a great week!

Your friend

My Best

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Rd
    Hinsdale NH 03451
    603-336-7296
    Email: [email protected]
    www.anglersartistry.com/zencart/

11. dougp

dougp Active Member

Woods & Waters are the finest ready to spray paints I have used so far. Just the best in consistency, color, vibrancy and sprayability.

DougP

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well, the thing is other than white, I've yet to find tic for tac match-ups with other brands. I'm just going to order a couple here and there and try them. They're small enough (4 oz) where even if you're not comfy with the out of the bottle color, you certainly can mix them with others (and btw, I've mixed them with H.M. paints and no compatibility issues so far), and it's not like they're going to go to waste nor will your existing paints. I tried the Pearl dark gold the other day and it is spot on for a lot of Smallies around here. I guess if one is doing the "Paint Schedule" deal then it might be an issue switching brands. But, if you can mix colors relatively well, then I'd suggest trying a couple. Again, the White and Detail White are "must-haves" imo...

13. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

I'm starting to rely more on my color wheel but I still need to use various paint schedules for reference. What colors would you recommend that are a close match to Golden Yellow and Vivid Orange?

This is the link to the badger Woods and Water Paint PDF: http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/Woods%20&%20Water%20Brochure%207-29-10.pdf

14. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's like this when you run out on lacquer you replace with woods and water paint. personally I like both and use both kinds in my painting.

15. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

W&W Candy Golden Yellow is a great transparent golden yellow color match. It sprays great too. If you are looking for a less transparent golden yellow, probably the yellow oxide would be the one, though I haven't used it. Also, I mix my own oranges, so I can't give a first hand account, but you have W&W bright orange and candy orange to choose from, again depending on what degree of transparency you want. I'm sure you'll get close to what you are used to.
    Best, Scott

16. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Thank you Scott. I was in a "spending mood" today so I went and bought all you suggested. LOL, now I know how the wife feels when she's out shopping. I only really need about 10 colors but I went ahead and bought 32.

17. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Well tried them out today and oh boy are they nice! I can see what all the talk is about with these paints. I like how smooth they are to paint with. I am really impressed with how nice they are. I was able to get some fine spots with it. The Badger Velocity is such an awesome brush to paint with. Overall very impressed! I can't wait to try them with the retarder and see how they work then. Here is what I was able to achieve while playing around with it a little. ;D

Ken
    [​IMG]

18. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Re: Re: Got my new Woods and Water paint!

I would like to try them too. My only concern is switching back and fourth between water based and laquer based paint. What will that do to your airbrush?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine