1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's with the Surry Mini-Course Competition

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 21, 2012.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I can't believe someone hasn't posted pictures of the show this past weekend. In fact, there really hasn't been much posted on it at all. I know some of you here said you were attending, so give us an update. PICTURES!!!!!

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree, I know some of you that went and you had to take some pics! I was going, but it just didn't work out this year.

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I wasn't able to go either but would love pictures and to know who the winners were.

4. I've got a few, but they are mostly the birds since that is all I do. The lighting messed up some of them, but maybe somebody else got some better ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought this was a pretty neat idea. Won the Van Dyke's Award.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These ducks were this guys 6th & 7th birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Here are a few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. George

Cripplecreek, those are some great birds. I saw the WASCO on the woodduck drake. The pictures was pretty dark and it wasn't unil I lightened it up that I saw the composition. That is a great concept. HOWEVER, I must be missing something. It looks as if the mount got a white ribbon. Please tell me that my lightening the picture gave me that impression.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I notice that one woodduck has a white ribbon, but yet most artistic.

So tell me who did the bad job, the taxidermist or the judge cause a white ribbon and that award do not belong on the same entry.

*sorry George, I was posting at the same time as you. Funny, I noticed the same thing! LOL

8. I might be getting over my head with this one since I'm not in Masters, but here it goes. At Surry & at the NCTA show, the masters division gives true 1st, 2nd & 3rd ribbons (1 each). I don't know what the woodduck scored, but it could have had a 90+ but been outscored by the shoveler & goldeneye. It would have had the 3rd highest score out of all masters entries & not necessarily a score in the 70's. There were some really strong masters birds at this show.

9. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

That floating gator is pretty neat and I really like that last one with the duck laying on the desk...really cool idea.

10. michael p.

Thanks Cripplecreek, either way, there was some really good mounts there!

11. George

Thanks for the explanation, but this is one of those issues I've always argued about. Your explanation is a perfect scenario for what I've always said. First and foremost, when the "masters" use the same ribbons as the general competition, they defraud the competitors and the viewing public. No matter how you cut it, just like Michael and I did, that's a WHITE RIBBON. Right, wrong, indifferent, we see the colorations equating to the points awarded as by the old NTA standards. Trying to explain that to some of these numbnuts running competitions is like discussing analytical geometry. IF a competition has a "masters" division, they could at least spend an extra $20 and buy unique ribbons for it. Look at the Westminster Dog Show. The top 3 dogs get progressively larger ribbons with the winner and 1st/2nd runners up. They are all three colored the same color, just the size differs. But competitions aren't rocket science and I suppose the analyt classes are out as well.

And I'm still a bit surprised at the lowkey comments of a show that has traditionally been an anchor competition.

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Very Nice Mounts.

What kind of pheasant/chicken/peacock is that one bird ? I've never seen one like that.

13. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Golden Pheasant

14. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thank you Tuggy. I have seen A Golden Pheasant before, my cousin has one in his shop. I don't remember it having all the adornment on it's head and neck, but maybe he just didn't present it like that one. Cool Bird.

15. George one of the coolest pieces there was the Mallard dead mount on the desk. If you could see all the adornments in it you would really appreciate it. All the books are old school taxidermy and anatomy books. It has and old field kit tool set ...the round wire rim glasses...some old chemicals of the trade. The old hardcover J W Elwood Taxidermy book. It will really take you back.

And the Mallard was very well done also.... :)

Very nostalgic.

[​IMG]

16. michael p.

That's nice!

17. George

Billy I'd bet that was nostalgic. Was the duck in the Masters as well? I can't imagine a dead duck scoring better than a "live" one and I'm always hearing that a diorama can't add points to a mount but it can take points away.

18. George I was so impressed with the presentation I don't think I looked at the division. As described earlier, Surry's Master ribbons ( 1, 2 and 3 ) as they are.... I guess this piece would have been a professional entry. I don't know for certain.

I felt the entire piece defined taxidermy in it's beginnings as we know it.

19. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

X2 ...has that old museum feel to it.

20. scandler

scandler New Member

the mallard on the desk was done by Martin. he brought it to the SC show and did really well with it also. George, i know you cant tell in the pictures but the shoveler is one of the best mounts i have ever seen. the detail that was put into it and the mouth was awesome on it. (it to was at SC show). and another thing , i have been looking since Saturday evening to see results of surry, why has it took so long for anything to come out?