1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question about Badger Velocity problem

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by armybucker, May 22, 2012.

1. Guys & Gals,

Hopefully someone can help me!! I have a Badger Velocity, all of a sudden I'm getting air bubling in the bowl! I looked @ the directions for trouble shooting, but it doesn't say much. I'm very new & this is my first airbrush. Thank you!

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

I have that problem. I've taken it apart twice and cleaned it and even soaked all the parts. I spoke to someone who knows a lot about airbrushes on here and he told me I needed to send it to Badger. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to yet, but unless someone tells you to do something I haven't tried, that's what I'll probably do.

3. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I have had the same problems too mnay times. Mine sits on the shelf full time now. I wouldn't purchase another one. With that being said, they have great paint.

4. Thanks guys, I called Badger & they said to send it in & they'll fix it. Great, I've only used the dang thing twice! What airbrushes do you guys recommend? I have a single stage Pasche(?) for the big work.

5. Sounds like it's clogged up,,,,,,or the small cone part that the needle goes through at the tip of the brush is cracked. You can crack it by putting way too much pressure forward on the needle when seating it and tightening up the locking nut on the back.

Dang, used it twice and ready to switch. Call Paul B and get a $5 replacement part. You might as well get a spare needle too, because you will bend it.

I know when I get bubbles, I pull the needle out, clean it and put it back in. If the needle won't seat, then you need to clean the brush very well and reassemble. It's the best brush I have and I have 3 of them. You have to learn to use the tool and maintain it or it will be considered to be a bad tool.

6. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

This has been covered before. As Doug stated, it's likely that you have cracked or split the fine needle seat in the tip. That part needs to be replaced. I've personally never had the problem, but I've been very gentle when I reseat the needle after cleaning in both the Velocity that I had and now my Krome.

7. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish New Member

I agree with Doug completely. Most likely the tip has a crack, or serious clogging. I cracked the tip once, but I had been completely disassembling the brush for cleanings after each use. I got the bubbles, and ended up buying a few (just in case) tip conversion kits on Amazon (needle and tip included). Paul B has posted some good recommendations for cleaning and maintenance that have helped me reduce contact with the airbrush tip, but I only had the issue once over a year of good use anyway. I assure you, this airbrush is phenomenal for detail work. I use a Badger Patriot for pearls and large particle size paints, and its a brute that requires practically no special care; but if you need to detail, the velocity is a great brush. I think you'll find Badger's customer service is pretty good to boot.
    Best, Scott

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Bubbles in bowl = cracked R-003 (spray nozzle) 99% of the time. Once in a great while one will be plugged with dried up paint due to total lack of maintenance and using too thick of paint. The nozzle can crack fairly easily by seating the needle with too much pressure. Look at the wall thickness of the tip of the nozzle. Common sense tells me that it is fragile. Use care when seating and you will not have issues. I have people that have used these brushes for a couple years with the original needle and nozzle. Others go through a nozzle every other month. Cleanliness and a soft touch when assembling is key.

I spray for hours, leave paint in my cup over lunch and come back to a no problem paint session. It's not rocket science all one needs to do is look at the size of the nozzle , without the needle in, then think how small the orifice is once the needle is seated. Use the wrong viscosity paint and I guarantee you problems. Use the correct paint and trouble free detailing is easily achieved.

Paul B

Any questions 616 677 3844

9. Holy cow, the spray nozzle is that fragile?! I have never taken it apart for serious cleaning, I just run thinner through it & swap the bowl with a q-tip until everything is clean.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Darn I guess those Paashe single actions with a number one tip and some retarder are looking better all the time! ;)

Sorry guys couldn't resist! :D

How much are those badger velocities anyway? :eek:

11. boarhunter67

So if I look at my R-003 (spray nozzle) I should visibly be able to see if it's cracked. Is that correct? I will look when I get home. I did take mine apart very carefully as I have all my guns. I've never had any other gun break this easily, but if they're that fragile, I'll have to be much more careful in the future. Cecil, I got mine for a little over $100 with a discount.

12. boarhunter67

I checked and I don't have a crack unless it's invisible to the naked eye. I squirted lacquer thinner through the tip and back again. I do have another problem now. I am getting no air at all. I took the bottom off and no air will come through the valve. I tried squirting lacquer thinner though, using a pipe cleaner, etc. The valve still moves, but I can't get air through it. I too have only used it 2-3 times and cleaned it every time after use like I do my other guns by squirting lacquer thinner though it and moving the needle back and forth. This time I only took it apart because I couldn't get it to spray. It kept bubbling and now air won't even come out. I know it must be clogged, but since I always thin my paints down and clean every time and have only used it a few times, I don't see how. As I said I even took it apart and soaked everything that could be dirty. I have a filter on my compressor so I'm at a loss.

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Call Paul and talk to him, he will resolve it for you. He probably knows more about those brushes than the people who actually makes them. BTW, I have the velocity and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Simply amazing detail with it!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I have eight Single Action Paashes for about $25 a piece.

15. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

Over the years I had 5 of those POS Hs, Cecil. If you paid me $100 each I wouldn't take one.

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

A magnifying glass will aid in seeing a crack in the R-003.

If you soak the airvalve with Lacquer thinner, you may compromise the o-ring.

What kind of paint are you using?

Backflushing helps a bunch, better than simply moving needle back and forth. Also, needle should be removed and wiped off, lubed and put back in, gently.

Like Matt said, call me 616 677 3844

As far as the title for this thread, I find that 99% of the time, the problem isn't the airbrush. Most always the paint or the operator or both. You can not assume that paint will just go through a fine detail brush, just because it flows through a .5mm or a .75mm nozzle on a paasche or similar airbrush commonly used by taxidermists. The .21mm nozzle in the Velocity is considerably smaller than the .5mm #1tip for Paasche. Big difference, two and a half times the difference.
    PB

17. boarhunter67

I'm using Lifetone or Polytranspar lacquer paint. I'll try looking with a magnifying glass later today. When I clean I usually take the tip off and put lacquer thinner through to the back and move the needle back and forth. I also backwash into the cup. I spray until everything is clear. I take the needle completely out and squirt lacquer thinner though the whole thing. Then I put it back together and spray lacquer thought again. I do not lube the needle back up. Maybe you can do a tutorial on your whole process of cleaning and lubing. My other brushes have a .24 needle and I think the Badger has a .19.

18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

The velocity comes with a .21 mm set up. What brand airbrush has the .24 mm?

Backflushing is normally good enough, no need to disassemble the spray nozzle. The only part that I take out is the needle. The velocity has about the shortest paint channel of all the renegades, not really that much to flush out.

When you take the needle out and spray thinner through the whole thing as stated above, you are getting solvent in areas that it shouldn't be. That is why there is a teflon seal (R-0023) in the body of the brush between the trigger/airvalve area and the paint cup spray nozzle area.

PB

19. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Active Member

Exactly what Paul is saying here. I was having troubles with my velocity and krome. It is amazing what a flake of dried paint can do to a quality airbrush. After several phone conversations with Paul/Pescado, my problems caused by my lack of proper cleaning, have been resolved. Thanks again Paul.

20. boarhunter67

I'm sure this is the problem with my airbrush. I don't think I ever implied that the Badger airbrush is anything but top quality. It does seem more difficult to work on, but that's probably because I'm less familiar with it.