1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf-Fish Skulls (Anarhichas lupus)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, May 23, 2012.

1. As promised, here come the wolf-fishes. They are Atlantic wolf-fish (Anarhichas lupus) and not Anarhichas denticulatus as some may have expected/thought.
    Very strong fish, nice bone quality on the front part of the skull, but quite bad in back and some bones from the opercular part are just made of cartilage. All the teeth felt and such like most of the mammals, just one tooth can go in one place so you're pretty sure to find their original place. Just takes some hours to put back. Jaw is quite heavy for the skull. Even neurocranium has teeth as you can see.

Here is one of them before.

Attached Files:

2. Wolf-fish showing teeth.

Attached Files:

3. Again but skinned.

Attached Files:

4. Wolf-fish bones display 1.

Attached Files:

5. Wolf-fish bones display 2. Added few teeth just to show.

Attached Files:

6. Wolf-fish skull 1

Attached Files:

7. Wolf-fish skull 2

Attached Files:

8. Wolf-fish skull 3

Attached Files:

9. Wolf-fish skulls x2
    The pictures I showed are not all from the same fish.

Attached Files:

10. second skull, front.

Attached Files:

11. As you can see, all those fish have different teeth.

Attached Files:

12. Freaking sweet! Awesome work on those fish! :D

13. mike98

mike98 New Member

Awsome!

Look at the chompers on that! :eek:

14. Magnifique!

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Dangit. Now I have to pester the boat crews for a head or two. Thanks for the pictures.

16. Wow, that's a mean looking fish! Beautifully done!

17. Simply amazing work...........as usual!!!! ;D

18. Thanks all ! ;D

19. Guus

Guus Member

Really good looking again! How many did you do? They look like they are easier to do than for example a monkfish? I'll try to get a couple to work on as well, hopefully with one of yours as a reference! :) Just arrived at our new place and heading out to the coast tomorrow, so hopefully we come back with some cool stuff!

20. Thanks Guus !
    I had 6 of them. Sent one to Seb, finished 3 skulls (first and third showed here). 1 have neurocranium that felt apart and it will be a real pain to re-assemble if I can. Remains one to dry and do, maybe future yours, I prefer finishing all and see after.
    Yes, easier than monkfish for teeth, bone quality, nice articular zone, but easy also to make a mistake in lateral parts and you have to restart sometimes. Monkfish have quite strange/uncommon bones to me.
    Lots of cod there, isn't it ?