1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is this FISH FIXABLE????HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by countryguy1982, May 24, 2012.

1. countryguy1982

countryguy1982 New Member

I wet tanned a few bear hides for a boy and he owed me a favor. Well...... I had a paddlefish that i cought in Tenn. during season that I really wanted mounted. HE figured he could do a skin mount on it. Said he never tried it before on a paddlefish.... Sorry bout the quality of the pic. it was taken on my phone....the grease comming outof this thing looks like pine sap beaded up and is as thick as it...... The head is shrunk something fierce .... talking like uber amounts of epoxie sculpt! the bill looks like the crater of the moon rite now...... I would normally just toss it but .... this fish has alot of sentimental value to me.... just posted a topic on here of my first fish mounts yesterday.... so i dont have really any experience with fish.... oh yea one more thing...... the bottom jaw is twisted real bad and shrunk. and the bottom fin behind the anus is broke completely off..... NOW i see why paddlefish are reproduction mounts....... BUT is this fish fixable?????? can it be done???? any of you experienced fish taxidermists care to throw in your 2 cents worth of info???? an tips???lol i know I'm being a real pain but taxidermist is only as good as what they can fix right?

Attached Files:

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Miacle seal, a couple kits of apoxie sculpt and some paint. Dixieland sells the MS.

3. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Curious, how should a paddle fish be processed?

4. countryguy1982

id say artificial head or reproduction, but don't take my word on it. not much of a fish taxidermist yet. am a mammals kinda guy.... pics don't do the shrinkage justice.... fish is going to weigh twice as much mounted as it did alive if i decide to go with it .....

5. Lets start with what you have. Easy Off oven cleaner will remove all the grease. Next yea the bill is going to need help. bondo can do the job, but I recommend the sealer Paul mentions first.

It may take a couple coats ofbondo, and a good primer for autos, then sand and seal again, fix any craters, sand and seal again. Then a bit of scratch rempair body putty. sand and seal now sand and paint.

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

On the outside, yes. What about what's still inside?

7. What??? A good taxidermist shouldn't have to fix crap like that and most refuse to. This year I'm pricing my restorations above my normal fish prices.

8. countryguy1982

i tried lacquer thinner last night. just would not cut it. Got some heavy duty automotive Grease and tar remover that evaporates real quick like paint thinner or lacquer thinner . Gonna test it on the back first. The fish still has an odor to it so im wondering how much meat got left in it myself. the fish has been mounted for several months so i am hoping this thing is done bleeding. out so much grease. Don't want to use anthing real wet , I'm afraid to rehydrate parts on it and it start bleeding out grease everywhere again. Ill post a pic my progress on this fish this evening. n see what you guys think..... don't want to put to much work into it if its going to turn out looking like frankeinfish.

9. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Brick of C-4 and then get a repro..............I dont think you can eliminate what's already reproducing inside that fish.....

10. it will drip for many years if the real head was used..seen one in a bar that was done many many years ago and they still have cardboard under it..
    i have skin mounted paddle fish but a cast head is a must.... i would measure head and see if you could find one to fit and cut off real head (just cut across top) from top of gill to other gill then should come off.. they have LOTS of grease in there heads and rest of fish for that matter..
    or just go with the c-4.

11. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

If it still smells after months, you have a problem. I wouldn't touch it myself. Do you really want a stinky greasy mess in your house? I think you need to consider this a lesson learned about who you have mount special fish...

12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Can this fish be saved. ....... Yes it can
    Do you want to do it this way?????.

I would use 1 oz of carbolic acid 1 gal water and a handful of water X 5
    Soak this fish in this mixture of 5 gallons for at least a week.......

One extreme word of caution
    This is a carcinogen must be used with extreme care and safety precautions

This will pull all the oils and grease out...

I have used this with stripers trout and salmon with NO grease bleed

This stuff is dangerous
    Use with extreme caution and care
    Used properly
    It is great

Carl