1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by live2fish311, May 25, 2012.

1. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Is the eye in backwards? Looks like the narrow end is pointing toward the back of the fish and not forward. May just be the pic. Still good fish for a first!

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. live2fish311

live2fish311 New Member

Re: Re: First fish Please criticize 18lb Rainbow

No eye is not back wards.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Very nice.. I have a 20lb rainbow I have to do and I hope it looks as good as yours. I am going to practice on a bunch of small ones first.

5. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Rick Krane has a video on painting a Rainbow Trout that I just got. The amount of detail he puts into a fish is amazing. I have a RBT to do some repair work on and repaint. I am looking forward to getting started. I'll try and post pics when done. By the way, nice job on your fish.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Really good for your first fish as many have mentioned. What stands out to me most is three things: 1st, the dorsal fin usually sweeps back more rather than sticking up so much. Second the stripe. I was taught it is thicker in the middle and tapers thinner at the ends. It may be the picture, but yours looks thick the whole way. Third, the spots. All the trout I've seen have two patterns. They have very little or at least a lot less spots in the stripe than above, and many around here do not have any spots below the stripe behind the pectoral fins until the anal fin. Some around here have lots of spots, but not where the colored stripe is. There I always see a lot fewer if any spots. This is just for my region, but your spots look very even and non random somehow. Either the shape, grouping, or sizes stand out. Maybe it's because the outer edges aren't very crisp. I'm not sure, but something about them doesn't look natural. Just look at reference pictures next time and you'll continue to improve. For a first fish, you have a lot of good things going for you.

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Great first fish, and a very ambitious project for a first fish! I will agree with Monty on what he said for improvements. You are doing a lot right. About that background......I think I saw Devil l Anse Hatfield peeking around the corner. Be careful! LOL