1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giving it one last season

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Hedhuntr, May 27, 2012.

1. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

OK Paul since you are in Michigan here's the numbers 41% of all farms in Michigan recieved government subsidies, here are the stats.

Michigan farms collected $4.35 billion in subsidies 1995-2010.

National totals: $261.9 billion in subsidies 1995-2010

$167.3 billion in commodity subsidies.
    $39.2 billion in crop insurance subsidies.
    $35.0 billion in conservation subsidies.
    $20.5 billion in disaster subsidies

And mind you this doesn't include tax exemptions for various things

2. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

Dont forget the low interest loans and lower fuel prices!!YOU KNOW THERE ENTITLEMENTS!!

3. Jerry Huffaker

Dairy subsidies. 4.9 billion in the same time period.

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

What do you have against food anyway? I don't know about you guys, but I like it when I go to the store to get milk ......and they actually have some.

5. Jerry Huffaker

I have nothing against farmers or their subsidies, I was just answering Pauls question. I love to eat, one of my favorite pastimes.

6. livbucks

Haha, yea....I kinda like it as well.

There is a method to the madness when it comes to farm subsidies. If left to it's own devices, the market would experience dramatic fluctuations in both supply and price. There would be times when the market would be down and there may be NO milk delivered within 100 miles of you for a week or two. How would you like that?

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm just part time, but I made about that much this year. That doesn't include wages to me, but that's just what's left over after supplies and shipping. My business picked up a lot from a webpage designed by lonepine. The other things I do is hang mounts in sporting goods/gun stores with a plaque with my name and number by them. I also have cards in the meat processessing places. All this was free. I also have a free listing in the local yellow pages. I had a lot of clients from out of the area this year because of my webpage. If you don't have one, it may seem like you shouldn't spend more money on something you think won't make a difference. That's what I thought for years. I thought if someone kills an animal, they aren't going to look online for someone. I was wrong. Contact lonepine and see what he can do for you. If you are giving it one more year, you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Thanks Jerry, I guess that explains why farmers are not taxidermist, they have no need to be one. LOL

9. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

With seed corn over $200 a bag fertilzer $1k a ton, RU $100 a gallon, farmers need to take out loans every year just to plant a crop, let alone buy and maintain equipment. If you paid that much for an investment you would insure it too. Remember farmers are not the ones reaping the rewards of $4 gal milk and gas ethanol. Most farmers I know are living off credit, or live within means more modest than the average full time taxidermist. I wish there were no subsidies either. But I'd rather have my money go to hard working families than the welfare cases with 10 kids and never worked a day in their life.

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If you took food stamps for taxidermy services you'd have it made.

11. livbucks

Very few deer hunters in the inner city. Lots of shooting though.

12. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

Hard working farmers??You have to be kidding me!! Yes in the 60 and 70s there were no subsidies!They had to actually work and budget there money!Todays Corporate farming practices??Lets see 1 day to till 1 day to plant,weed control,then harvest,then 1 day to fix machinery.Lets see,a grand total lof 300 acres of corn at 6.2 a bushel should gross easily 180 thousand to 257 thousand .Not bad for for less than 7 days of work for a typicanl midwest farmer!(Quote from2012 FFA JOURNAL)You better take a good look at SOUTH PADRE ISLAND you know those 2to 3 million dollar snowbird homes that are being built and bought with welfare money.90% of crops and 76% meat production shipped over seas!!42% of US corn went to ethanol.Oh another subsidie!!The billions of welfare paid out to those poor farmers is a hell of alot more then what is paid out to the folks that have fell on hard times!I have numerous clients and friends that have loss their jobs and are on welfare.They are under employed or making less than 12.00 hr Majority people on welfare dont listen to rap or live in the inner city!No AMERICAN should starve or be homeless.We started a hunter meat donation shelf 6 years ago and had just a few people on the list.In the last 2 years we get calls weekly!!!There is something really broken in our country!

13. JNH

JNH New Member

You guys should look at the real #s before you complain about farmers - the numbers you quoted are over 15 years so that is on $17.5 billion avg. per year. "In a 2011 article, Forbes reported, "The best estimate of the cost of the 185 federal means tested Welfare programs for 2010 for the federal government alone is nearly $700 billion, up a third since 2008, according to the Heritage Foundation. Counting state spending, total Welfare spending for 2010 reached nearly $900 billion, up nearly one-fourth since 2008 (24.3%)"." --- That is a whole lot more going to others than farmers.

smittysinc - if farming is so easy and lucrative why don't you do it? First go out and buy 300 acres @ 4-5K per acre = 1.2-1.5 million, then buy your equipment and it better be new if your only going to spend one day fixing things -- Tractor 150K, disc, corn planter, sprayer, etc. $150K, Combine and corn header $300-350K, a couple trucks $150K, A storage shed for equipment 40K, shop and tools 100K Looks like your over 2 million in just your initial investment (a third of that is equipment that is going down in value and wearing out as time goes on). Now you have to get the crop planted --- seed, fertilizer, fuel etc. $300 per acre = $90,000 (each year), Irrigation?? Fuel to harvest? parts, filters, insurance, employes, licenses, registrations, property taxes................... rough guess 25K (probably low)

Lets see $157K-$115K=$42,000 for a 2.1 million dollar investment thats only 2% return on your investment. If you had to borrow any -- say 1 million at 4% - thats 40K in interest, leaving only $2000. Tell me again how a farmer is getting rich?

14. livbucks

My buddy farms on a decent scale on his inherited farm and also on lease share farms where the owners are too old to operate them. Both He and his wife also work full time jobs and they aint rich. Not even close. If he had to buy his farm he would be losing money for sure.

15. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I would not thank anyone for a farmers life, extra long hours with little return. I know quite a few farmers that are exhausted and not rich, plus once in their late fifties their bodies are all but worn out or they have succumbed to some type of "farming" disease
    no thanks
    John

16. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

I gotta laugh sometimes at the whole farmers got it rough comments. Monetarily yes physicly no. I bet their are very few farmers that could last a season with me landscaping getting behind about 400 yards of mulch and riding a mower 9-12 hours a day in the heat.

17. Never talk bad about farmers when your mouth is full of food, and your fridge and panty stocked.

Do you have $1000.00 a day for fuel? One tractor 250 gallons of fuel.

Here is just a list of options, most of us taxidermist could not afford to fiance the options let alone the tractor.
    http://configurator.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90947.eproducts.view.servlets.ProductSelectionServlet?userAction=configureProduct&lang=en&country=US&sbu=AG&category=Tractors&model=9560R%20Tractor&modelID=Model_US251&baseCode=&futureProduct=false

Then there is the attacments to do the work, then there is the interest on the loan for the tractor and equipment.

Farm subsidies suck! Even for the farmer,

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Basic law of economics...Who has the largest investment in a commodity and receives the smallest share...the farmer.

Why are there subsidies? Because the government controls the market. In the case of the dairy industry, its the Federal Milk Marketing Orders. Its an antiquated marketing system that has outlived its usefulness. In the south, an milk deficit area, dairies are penalized when out of order milk is shipped into the order. There are hundreds of loads of Texas & New Mexico milk shipped into this order weekly. Remember grain embargos? Jimmy Carter turned the whole ag economy on its nose by using this food weapon the USSR when they invaded Afganistan. More recently...ethanol in gasoline...a totally neutral energy conservation step for the country that has cost taxpayers billions.

Why do I know all this stuff...because I spent 30 years in Ag Research. BTW, most farms are family farms...even the "factory farms" alluded to. Farming is a huge gamble...always has been, and always will be.

19. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I just had to show my wife these comment's about farmer's not working hard, we laughed and laughed. Our Neighbor(farmer) was out cutting winter wheat at 12.30 am last night with his light's on, after cutting other field's all day. :D

20. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

The main POINT I am trying make is that it doesnt matter if a farmer has a good year or not he will still get SUBSIDIES or free money from TAXPAYERS to continue.If you are a taxidermist or any other small business and fall on hard times good luck!My relatives own well over 3600 acres that is farmed.(4th Generation) I own just under 200 acres of wooded land that is rolled into CRP.(ANOTHER SUBSIDIE)YOU will never hear that a farmer had a good year.ANY farmer that is complaining about not making money is blowing smoke up your tail!RECORD PRICES PAID FOR CROPS IN THE LAST 6 YEARS!!THe BILLIONS PAID OUT TO FARMERS IN WELFARE IS 1000% HIGHER than the working class that falls on hard times!MAJORITY of Grains and PRODUCTS produced here in the US is shipped overseas!!93.8 (QUOTE from FFA 2012 Journal) (YOU KNOW COMUNIST CHINA) top 3 buyer for US Farming products.RECORD PRICES PAID FOR LAND!Average 2011 price on crop land in the Midwest a staggering 8200.00 per acre!The scary part of this is that all that land is TAX ACCESSED at that dollar amount!AVERAGE RENT 486.76 Per Acre WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN WHEN ETHANOL DRYS UP AND SUBSIDIES RUN OUT AND CROP PRICES RETURN NORMAL???(COMUNIST CHINA WILL OWN THE US??) OuR gas price on the FArm is 84Cents to $1.47 average less than what you pay at the pump!! Our combine has a 26 inch TV and is driven by GPS by its self.YOU ARE STUPID TO GO AND BUY NEW MACHINERY EVERY YEAR!! YES CROP FARMER WORK LESS THAN 7 DAY A YEAR!!! Last year AVErage on 100 acres (netted) income was including all the subsidies,tax breaks a record amount of $113,000.00 In the 1999s average net on 100 acres was less than $47,000.00.WE still made good money in the 90s.IF YOU REALLY WANT TO PISS DOWN PEOPLES BACK ABOUT GETTING A COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS OF FOOD STAMPS THAT FELL ON HARD TIMES YOU SHOULD REALLY PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR REPUBLICAN ASS AND SEE WHERE THE BILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF $$ WELFARE IS BEING GIVEN TOO. I would never bash someone for falling on hard times needing food stamps or houseing assitance.