1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3 wash system

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Fawn, May 28, 2012.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I am wondering if any of you have ever used a three step wash instead of pickling hides. I took a taxi course and the instructor had us mount every animal without pickling. We would flesh, salt, rehydrate then wash with skin prep, germicide and deoderizer; then rub in tanning oil and mount. Could mount a deer in two days but then have to wait a month for the mount to dry before finishing. Have to say they turned out pretty good but my question is - would the skin prep we used be the same as skin prep nbu. I don't know because the bottles were relabled with his own labels. If so what would the germicide be? Just wondering because I purchased some of these products from him and am not sure if they are usable in any other process other than his.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

One teachers ways, is only one opinion on how to do things. There may be better ways, there may be worse ways. But raw skin without some kind of preservative is not recommended in most areas of taxidermy. the tanning oil that you used was probably the tanning agent. Ask your teacher.

3. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I'm sure you're right. What I am wondering though is what the wash was. He won't tell me because he relabels them for resale as his own.