1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

for the old schoolers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by the god mother, May 28, 2012.

1. the god mother

the god mother New Member

here
    can you tell me what sal-soda? is used for beside's cleaning meat off skull caps...

tgm

2. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

its baking soda

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Welllllllll not quite. You wouldn't want to make biscuits with it. It is used in washing detergents. Sal soda is sodium CARBONATE. Baking soda is sodium BICARBONATE or bicarbonate of soda. If heated, baking soda will TURN to sal soda but not the other way around.

4. In the oilfields Sal Soda is used for cleaning the clothing of workers.
    Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda or soda ash), Na2CO3 is a sodium salt of carbonic acid. In domestic use, it is used as a water softener during laundry. It competes with the magnesium and calcium ions in hard water and prevents them from bonding with the detergent being used. Without using washing soda, additional detergent is needed to soak up the magnesium and calcium ions. Called washing soda, soda crystals, or sal soda in the detergent section of stores, it effectively removes oil, grease, and alcohol stains. Sodium carbonate is also used as a descaling agent in boilers

5. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

so you can use baking soda to clean skull caps.??? ???

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Only if you use it in boiling water so that it can break down chemically. But there you go, "boiling" a skull which isn't something I like to think about either.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I know what Sal-Soda is...does that make me an "old school" guy? - You shouldn't boil your skulls. You should use sal-soda for them. IMO I need to go sit in my rocker...

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Not...

Thanks George, somebody pays attention..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate

9. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Baking soda in water only needs to be heated to 140o F. to be converted to a sodium carbonate solution.

10. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

so if I have really hard water does this make soap work better? Can I use it when washing ducks?