1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting a handful of Titty Bream....Say Whaaaat? (Update with a couple handfuls)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brian W, May 29, 2012.

1. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Dont zap me yet Bill......I didnt make it up......too funny to not repeat it.......

Thumbing through my latest FIELD and STREAM mag and came across a pic of a big gill which always gets my attention. The caption insert and narrative was something a little out of the box for a description of a big gill. I mean, we're talking Field and Stream here.
    Anyway, as you can see the caption reads "catch a titty bream" and the first line below states: "A titty bream is a trophy worthy of a Facebook posting and a scorching-hot fry pan, and absolute proof that "more than a handful is not a waste". Hence the label Titty Bream....... SAY WHAT?....lol. Did they just compare catching a big gill in line with "getting a handful of ___?" So, thought you GUYS would get a kick outta that. I did......I'll be on vacation next week looking for just that kind of handful............ ;D

Attached Files:

2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Re: Getting a handful of Titty Bream....Say Whaaaat?

thats good...have a nice vacation

3. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

HAAA! Had some nice big C-cupper gills in my hand last week that I caught on flyrod, fun as hell. Going on my Quebec trip all next week, leaving this Friday. Have fun Brian and dont forget your beads errrr um beadheads.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Where is the......

Where is the "LIKE" button......... I would soooo LIKE this post. ;D

Also, thanks for the pic......I'm going to have to do one like that.

;D

Kerby...

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I always thought it was "more than a mouthful"... Either way, either works for both - lol!

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

So that's what Al Bundy was looking at in his copy of Big'uns

7. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Thanks guys.....glad you liked it. I'll post some pics after I get back. Speaking in Field and Streams terms, would like to wrap my hands around a D or better....lol..... Got a very private lake I secured permission on and this is only the second time I was cleared for entry......and Kerby, you're right, that would be a very cool way to display the mount.........(another Breakthrough article eh?)

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Brian, I hope your trip is Breaming with titties, or, I mean filled to the rim with titty bream, oh God, now I am confused.

A bream like that can really put a bend in your rod.

May your cup runneth over!

9. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Or may your hand runeth over

10. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Too funny, guys.......... ;D

11. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Back from the fishing trip and back to the grind..........Caught plenty of LM of which we keep what we could eat, some nice gills, a couple lake rainbows and laker, and a few pike we C&R'd.........first pic are the biggest two I caught on my custom built fly-rod and hand tied spiders. Second pic is of the three biggest, shortly after they were caught (notice the color difference).....Thank you Field and Stream for giving me something to shoot for....or, ahh, grab.....lol

Attached Files:

12. Now that's more than a hand full! Congrat's Brian. Funny just got my June issue. Where did you go again? ::) hint, hint wink.

13. kikkertinz

Holy man! they are nice!!

14. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Nice gills! I spent 3 days last week fishing for the very same "titty-bream" in a pond. She was on her bed and I literally threw every lure and every bait I had at her in those 3 days. She bit twice but never held on. But anyway, I have a few titty bream to my credit from a couple years ago so I'm happy.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You damned Yankees and your made up stories. Do you REALLY want to know why they're called "titty bream". In the South, the standard size of bluegills is measured in FINGERS with a 3 finger bream being the kind that hits the boiling oil. A 4 finger bream is about as big as you hope for. If you've ever fished for these little fighters, you knwo that you lift the bream up, let it lie flat in your hand and curl your fingers over the dorsal fin and bellly, and THEN you pull out the hook. Well, guess what happens if you catch one BIGGER than your hands. You'd lay it on your hand and then have to press it up against your chest (your titty) to hold it still while you unhooked it. And THAT's where the title "titty bream" comes from. You Dillberts.

16. His story sounds better!

17. kikkertinz

True stories suck...you should see the pecker perch

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Oh well, I try to educate you and see what happens. I'll tell you this: if I need a salacious story I'll be damned if it's going to include a bluegill in it.

19. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You mean the "pecker walleye"! LOL!

20. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Dang George
    You really are from the south
    I was waiting on someone to give the true definition
    Titty bream
    So big you holdem against your titty to get the hook out

I'm afraid to ask what a pecker perch is

Carl