1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice on KING SALMON in progress (pic), more than 1 silver?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1fish2fish, May 31, 2012.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I wrote about my struggles with my 1st King (replica) in the -matching the photo or nature- thread (http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,305410.0.html). Honestly, I should have finished long ago, but I haven't touched it in nearly a month after some aggravation with it. I just went on to other projects more familiar to me. Now that those are clearing up, I'm back to it and beating my head against the wall again. Sure, I have the paired fins and fin buts to do, OK, and some scale work under the belly and spots on the head and shading on the dorsal. I may reconstruct the membrane? behind the gill plate too.

But I am back to old woes...I've tipped the top 1/3 scales with a brighter silver than the body, because the picture of the fish was getting direct light there. Looking at other photos, these salmon seem to carry their brighter silver reflections in many diffrent areas depending on pose and light. I think the brighter silver gave a nice 3D effect to the scales. Should I carry that down through the body, as well? Do you King Salmon Pros use more than 1 silver when tipping, and, if so, is it accurate to do so? Looking at an Atlantic salmon in the supermarket, it seemed to me that all the silver scales are the same overall shade of silver at the silver portion, with the angle of light reflection creating the variations in the tones. Any suggestions on how I should proceed are welcomed. I want this to be my best effort. What is it they say, you never forget your first?

Also, I don't see much "Halo"-ing of head spots in reference, but my reference is very limited (thanks to those who have posted reference pics on this site, those are my only closeups). Still, I see great fish work that uses this effect. Do King salmon indeed have head spot halos?

Any other assistance/advice on anything you see that could be improved is appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Scott

[​IMG]

2. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I am always going to Dave"s website and staring at his work for inspiration. Check out some work from one of the best in the world. I use his gallery for reference more than real fish. The chrome look is one of the toughest to pull off. Multiple silvers, whites and greys used in tipping is what works for me but I am by no means even close to an expert.

http://www.davecampbellfish.com/home.htm

3. buckhunter76

buckhunter76 New Member

I agree with duxdog Daves kings are absolutely stunning.

4. Lateral Line

Lateral Line The Sea Refuses No River...

That thing looks awesome, even with it's albino fin...

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement Lateral Line, and guys thanks for the recommendation on Dave Campbell's site. Geez, he does some AMAZING work (duxdog, I just checked your website and see you know chrome pretty darn well 2). I've read some of Mr. Campbell's posts, and there is great info there as well. Just wish I could see one of those chromers in person, that would really help. I think one of my main issues (aside from only ever handling 1 of these chromer fish), is knowing how different they can look in pictures, in different light sources, in the water; and knowing when to create variation and when not to. I'm just trying to figure this whole chrome thing out artistically speaking, to understand where artistic license is warrented and where it is not. Here is the actual fish for comparison if anyone wants to add to the post:

Best, Scott

[​IMG]