1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Much work one project.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by John C, Jun 1, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Dillion the foster child, getting some taxidermy lessons.

[​IMG]
    Scott Kellogg telling my wife, How he ran the lioness down and stab her with the spear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cornflakes explaining to me how to do this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

can't wait to see it done...keep the photo's comming

3. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

cool lion john!! I never thought I would see one of those in mountain home. X2 post pictures when completed

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Nice work so far, John. She'll look nice when done! Best of luck to you guys with her!

5. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

cool !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Boy he sure looks happy in the 3rd pic haha

6. Thats JB! Saddlehorse you might be surprised whats in Mt Home! There was a Kangaroo running loose last week.

I firmly believe the form was for a tiger. There was just nothing about it that looked like a lion, and along with that the form looked like my friends live tiger.
    We have worked long hard hours changing this into a lioness form, but even thinking it was for a male lion does not make any sense.

Anyway we have done the last test fit tonight, the for needs a bit more work.

I want to thank John Bellucci for his awesome book on big cats!

If you really want to leanr big cats, get the book, get a skin and form and get to work. I have learned so much this week from the book.

7. well we are finally have the cat drying. Corn Flakes and I worked I think it was 120 hours, altering the form. Well hell it was a tiger I am sure cause it was nothing like a lion. I think it was 27 major cuts we bonded back after cutting apart.

Did final adjustments today I think. Its in the showroom drying and head bagged again, no A/c.

Dont kid yourself, Cornflakes and I are two tired pooped old pharts, age does get to your butt. We figured out had she been standing we would have been done a lot a lot sooner, but this legs tucked under pose has something going for it!!!

Have somewhere around two hundred reference photos. checked , rechecked, checked again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Diesel_19

Diesel_19 New Member

Re: Re: Much work one project.

Awesome job

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Thanks Conrflake on here worked his legsoff on this one too. While a hand saw is fine to cut forms, we pulled out the chain saw.

10. LordRusty

Ohio
    Ha! Big jobs require big tools! ;)

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Nice mount, a lot of work there. I have one little problem, hope you don't mind an opinion. You have her eyes looking down parallel to the muzzle. I've never seen a cat position their eyes down like that. If she is looking in that direction the muzzle would be pointing down much more. Not saying it can't happen, I've just never seen it.

12. mislynx

mislynx Member

What are the ropes on the side for?

13. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Looks good John and Cornflakes. No authority here at all, but sure can appreciate all the hard work.

14. Thanks Antlerman,

Misliynx, the ropes are to hold the skin in the depression until the glue dries.
    [​IMG]

As the glue finally sets up and dries the ropes are removed. I have used backer rod (aka bird necking materials), but the sponge rods seem to leave marks. where as the rope does not.

15. mislynx

mislynx Member

Why do you want lines there

16. LordRusty

Ohio
    Ribs. You need to study anatomy. ;)

17. mynx

mynx New Member

Wow, very nice! I actually never heard of that odd rope thing before. Heh, guess that isn't too much of a surprise though, seeing as I didn't even realize you can get those sort of eyes either. God I feel new.

Nontheless, very nice. I can't wait to see more pictures :D

18. mislynx

mislynx Member

"Ribs. You need to study anatomy" Sorry maybe you should study. Fat lines maybe but no ribs would show there.That is the belly. And I thought you new big cats

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    Wow ... it's easy to be a snarky little smart mouth when you hide your identity! That is the location of the ribs on the side of the mannikn ... but the location of the Latissimus dorsi must also be meaningless to you! Like I said ... study anatomy! You will find the belly on the bottom of the animal!

Look carefully, and see how far back and down the lines of the rib cage are located. When the Lion - or any mammal - lays down, the belly pushes up, spreading the organs outward, and thus the rib cage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Re: Re: Much work one project.

And last I checked that is were ribs are the belly would be farther back

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine