1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

brown trout skin stretched

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by troutfeva, Jun 3, 2012.

1. troutfeva

troutfeva New Member

hey guys.
    I looked at the old posts and found some info on this but everyone blamed the measerments but its not.
    I made a template carved my own body skined the fish (2 browntrout) put them in da water pulled them out to mount and the skin has grown.
    Its longer by 1in-1.5in it doesnt even lineup with the template at all. And the template is allways bigger to start with.
    I need some help or advice on this pls!!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Fish skins can and will elongate after skinning and fleshing. If you carved your forms to match the templates you drew using the whole fish. Just line up the anatomical features such as fin locations and such and things should go back together fine. If you feel you still need extra length use some clay in the tail area to gain it. Good luck, 3bears

3. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Pm sent. [​IMG]

4. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

I'm having a semilar issue with a Chain Pickeral. Beyond the endless supply of slime it looks to be stretched as well. This is only my second attempt at carving a fish body so I'm just going start over with a fresh piece of foam.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

OK not to be a smart A$$ here but this is called taxidermy in which we taxi the skin. Now I have seen this time and time again and it's a no brainier just taxi where it needs to go as far as the fins line up. I will place the fish in the fridge and let it dry slowly if need be as to it way to big as you claim and slowly taxi the wrinkles out as it dries.

One year I did a seminar in WV and the same thing happened there. I told them by morning that the skin would shrink back and there would be no wrinkles in the body. Some were no believer's so next day I showed them what the fish looked liked and no wrinkles just a tight fitting skin on a hand carved body.

What I'm saying here if you carved it to the specks of the fish all will be fine.

6. Re: Re: brown trout skin stretched

I have also seen where the skin might appear to stretch lengthwise, but at the same time shrunk in circumference. You just need to pull the circumference around and it will pull the length in. not sure if this Is the case, but I've seen that.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. troutfeva

troutfeva New Member

Thanx guys for the input,
    The fish was stretched length but did seem smaller girth and more stretched through the tail section.
    I did manage to get em done with out to much trouble.
    As said place the fins then pull the rest to where it needs to be.
    Great website!

8. dbess

dbess New Member

I remember that Frank, large Brownie....turned out great!