1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting A Largemouth Bass. With pictures and lots of them!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. what a great post. Learning a lot from this. Nice job Ken.

2. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Thank you Ken, For all your work and time great post.

3. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

No problem guys. I am working on the paint right now. Should be up in a few days.

4. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Well I am now going to describe how I do my paint work. Let me say this first. I am still learning and am just trying to help someone out when starting to do a fish. So here I go ;D. This will be my second mount with the Woods & Water paints. My first bass using these paints. I will be using my Badger Renegade Velocity made by Badger Airbrush Co. This is the best airbrush by far that I have used. Love to use it. You can get some amazing detail with it. Now the paint. The only problem I have with the Woods & Water paint is the Bright Green. It will sometimes fade out for some reason. I had to apply it twice to get the color I was looking for. The first coat looked fine when I stopped that night and when I looked at it the next morning it was a few shades lighter in color. I applied another coat and it turned out ok. All the other colors work great! I am probably going to try Light Green instead next time. This is just the only color that has faded, not sure why it would fade. Like I said all the other colors are awesome! I also like to seal each color with some lacquer sealer. I used the Polytranspar Fungicidal Sealer from WASCO to seal in each color. I put some liquid mask on the eyes and let it dry before painting. Here is the fish before any paint is applied.
    [​IMG]
    The fish sealed with the Lacquer Polytranspar Fungicidel Sealer.
    [​IMG]
    I learned a really cool trick from Cole's Painting a Bass Tutorial. I use a white PrismaColor Premier White PC-938 watercolor pencil. I take it and draw all over the fish highlighting the tops of all the scales. This like the opposite of antiquing a replica. It will also lighten up the dark skin so that it will come out lighter. I your bass are turning out to dark this will help a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the fish is when it has been applied.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then tone it down with some White. I am just making it less harsh and softer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next take a Dark Derwent Charcoal Pencil and start to lay down the spotting and patterns. Then take a small soft bristled brush and dip it in some water to moisten it. I then take the brush the brush and wipe and kind of move around and slightly darken the area. Try to keep the back tips of the scales darker than the rest of the scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next thing to do is add some White Pearl to the whole belly, and face area. Then some Yellow Oxide to the upper belly and mid section. Also the cheek area.
    [​IMG]
    Then I add Bright Green to the mid and upper section of the fish. I also take some Black Green and go over the spots and facial barring too just darken them up a bit. Then I take some Yellow Oxide,Black Green, and Bright Green and mix them until they turn a Olive Drab like color I then sprayed the Caudal, Soft Dorsal and Pectoral fin with some of the color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next I start scale tipping with some Aztech Gold Pearl-ex powder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also add some to the cheek area.
    [​IMG]
    I now work on the belly spotting. I like to use make-up yes I said make-up for this. You ask why? Well it works very well for what I need to do. It is the right shade, and softness that I am looking for. I apply it with a small soft bristled brush. The same one I scale tipped with. It works very well and I think it came out nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then the next day applied the Bright Green again and it didn't fade this time. I am sure the paint was fine probably something on my end I am doing wrong. Then I darken up the top a bit. I like to weave in between the scales so the gold tipping will still show through somewhat. I then spray the back tip of the caudel fin, and trailing edge of the soft dorsal and spiny dorsal with this color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then clean the eye and add some fleshy tone to the face. I like Salmon Pink Peal-Ex powders for this step. I use a few different sizes of brushes to apply the powders.
    [​IMG]
    Also too the base of the Pelvic and anal fins. You can also add some to the bottom of the caudal fin based on your reference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then next add some veins. I used a red watercolor pencil for this step. I also used some of the Pink Salmon pearl-ex powder to give the inside of the mouth some flesh tones. The anus also got some tones with this color too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with the first flash coat of Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2x Coverage Gloss spray paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then add another flash coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with the final coat of gloss.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The scale tipping when the sun hits it just right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That eye sure does PoP when the light hits it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now comes painting the gills. I do this by hand with a brush because you don't get over spray. Just be careful when doing this that you don't get any on the rest of the fish because it is real hard to get off and hide. The front of the gills are actually white not red. Only the soft fluffy part is red. So that is what I paint. I use Polytranspar Gill Red (Cadmium) Lacquer and apply it with a brush. I do this after the gloss coat because when I do it before and then gloss it the gills get a white type of buildup on them thus making them not as red as before.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the gold head on. You can barely see it.
    [​IMG]
    One more shot of the belly spotting.
    [​IMG]
    One more of the eye.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is finished.
    [​IMG]
    I hope you guys have enjoyed seeing this and also hope that it can help someone out. I will post photos of it mounted on the base soon.

Ken

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Good job Ken, this thread is going to help a lot of people, from novice to veteran.

6. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Great job and great presentation I know that took a lot of doing, you've got the right attitude and ambition to go a long way in this business good luck on your next project, thanks for the effort.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Great post and a great job. Thanks for sharing

8. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Great Job Ken! Customers are happy when their fish looks that good! Nice use of the make-up instead of a charcoal stick (or other method). I find he charcoal pigment size is a bit large for some finer markings, so I'll have to keep in mind your little trick. Thanks for sharing.
    Best, Scott

9. absolutely amazing job!

10. very nice tutorial!!! Thanks very much for sharing your technique.

11. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks guys for the kind words! I am working on the base right now. I will post photos when its finished. Can I be considered a Fish Head now lol! ;D Glad you all enjoyed the thread. I am going to put a link to it in the Tutorial section. If you guys have any questions just ask.

Ken

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good job on the fish and the tutorial. The fish looks good. I am sure you have helped a bunch of people with this. 3bears

13. linder

linder New Member

Man,very helpful thank you Ken.

14. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Nice job Ken, but I think you need a few more pics LOL
    Well done.
    John

15. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Hey John, I hope I didn't miss putting up any photos LOL! Just kidding! Thanks guys I am glad you all like it.

Ken

16. RTF

RTF Active Member

You certainly put effort into this. Good deal

17. JWShadley

JWShadley New Member

Very instructional with great pics. As someone who is trying to learn taxidermy myself, I have found your diligence and hard work VERY helpful and will be sure to use it on my next skin mount.

18. tdennis

tdennis New Member

marked

19. Thanks Ken! Great job. Always looking for ideas on finishing techniques.
    Shawn.

20. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks and your welcome guys.

Ken