Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Jun 3, 2012.
Thank you Ken,Great work. I picked up a few tips as well
Well here it is completed! The wood was given to me by the client and he wanted to incorporate it into the mount. So I used wooden dowels and some wood glue to put the halves together. I used a couple of ratchet style tie downs to squeeze the two pieces together until they were tight. I then used a wood shaving tool to shave and somewhat level out the two halves. Then I took my portable belt sander with 120 grit sand paper and started smoothing things out. Now after that was finished I used a skill saw to cut the short ends straight and even. Next I sanded those cut edges smooth. Then I started laying out how I wanted it to look. Move things around until you find something you like. Once you have marked all the holes for where the screws are supposed to be located. I like to drill a pilot hole for the screw. You don't want it to start splitting. Now you can go ahead and attach everything like the fish, driftwood, rocks, ect. The next thing I did with this mount was add a lure to the mount. This is the original lure he caught it with. Even the original knot. I wanted to make the hooks to look like the bait was swimming. You want to give it some action. I used a little bit of some Z-Poxy 5-Minute Epoxy. I apply a little to each little mini key rings/loops. Not sure of the technical term. You want to apply enough to the bases of the hooks so it will be somewhat strong. They wont be invincible so take care with them. Once they have set up I like to drill a small hole in the lure for the copper wire support to go into. I then pick where I want the bait to make contact with the driftwood. I use the same bit for this hole also. You want wire to fit tightly into the holes. You will need to roughen up the wire piece quite a bit. You want that epoxy to have something to grab onto. I then apply the same Z-Poxy 5-Minute Epoxy to the holes and insert the wire and assemble. I attached the Photo frame with some velcro strips I got from Walmart. The adhesive on these strips is very strong. The bond is really snug and tight. The brass nameplate came with adhesive strips on the back. So all you have to do is apply it to the base. Now for odd shapes like driftwood I would recommend using some of the 5 minute set epoxy to attach it with. Here is the finished product. I hope you all have enjoyed this tutorial and where able to get something out of it. Happy 4th. Of July to you all! Stay safe and have fun. If you have any questions just send me a PM or shoot me an email.
thats a great look Ken...Bang Up Job
Looks great. When I have clients bring me drift wood to use I always clear coat them when I clear coat my fish so that it looks wet and underwater as well. I use an automotive clear coat and it still takes 2-3 coats so if you are using Crystal Clear or a spray on, it might take quite a few coats to make it look wet. My dad would always take clear shoe polish or light brown and polish his driftwood and then clear coat it so it would look really shiny and wet. Good looking mount. Thanks for your effort. It's always nice to see similarities and differences in how someone else does it.
I will also wet the driftwood too If the client wants it that way. I give them a choice. Wet or dry. I like both looks so I let them decide. I use the minwax polyurethane clear gloss. Works great. Takes a few coats though. I liked the look of this mount dry. I just thought it added a much softer look. I do them both ways and they both look great.
I love seeing the faces of the clients when they get there fish back. He really liked it! He noticed and really liked the golds. Makes it so worth it!
And a photo of me with the finished product. This was a real fun mount to do. I really enjoyed doing this tutorial. Thanks everyone for the kind words and I am glad you all enjoyed it.
Hey Ken, sorry for the late reply to your post. I'm working two jobs lately so I just havn't had much time the cruise the net . Your tutorial is simply AWSOME. You are truelly one of the talented that will go far beyond most in the Fish Taxidermy buisness.
Thanks Michael! Glad you liked it. I plan on starting up a full-time shop soon. Just trying to get fish work to do. I might be doing a citation smallmouth bass soon so can't wait to get started on that. Thanks again for the kind words.
I'm a 50 year old newbie! Working on my 2nd largemouth skin mount. Ken, I was so thrilled to see that my bass looks just like yours did as it was drying! I'm be moving on to fins and sculpting soon and it was great to review your photos/tutorial.
I own a couple Rick Krane DVDs (not largemouth) and also Bill Atkins largemouth DVD start to finish and they got me going. Thanks and keep up the great work!
Thanks again Ken
Brian I am so glad you enjoyed it! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks guys!
Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Thanks a bunch for this, it really helped clear up some things up
Nice post Ken!!!!
Just think of all the time Ken put into this tutorial and now all the pictures are gone. So sad and what a waste of time.
Dang this was my favorite thread
Must have been great pictures. Wish photobucket would take stuff like this into consideration . Having problems with tails and this would have been awesome