1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old fish repair

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by IDForkHorn, Jun 4, 2012.

1. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Any ideas of taking the fins off of an old fish mount to put repro's on them? Any help apprecieted

Thanks Tyler

2. Sikk

Sikk Member

I prefer using a dremel with a small cut off wheel, and then attach the repro fin with epoxy and scupt the fin attachment in. But how well it goes will depend on what you find underneath for a body, could be a foam form( depends on the age) could be some kind of filler. could be an air pocket. you never know what you may find. I have also tried re hydrating and cutting the skin with a scalpel, but have found I loosen scales in the area when it swells. try a back side fin first to see what you are up against. paul

3. usually just a scalpel works fine, dont like to rehydrate . then dremmel a nice groove for the fins and epoxie

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    x2 If done right there will be only a little blending of paint do. 3bears

5. Some old fish mounts may have paper mache made with ASBESTOS.

6. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

It isn't that old, around the 1985 ish area!

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

1985 is old? LOL!

8. Heck

Heck Active Member

I usually just use a carbide dremel bit, cut the fin area out to fit my repro fin base and go from there. ;)

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Dremel cutting tool IF I need to take them off. But, I almost always repair them unless they're extremely bad. I always try to keep the integrity of the original mount intact when at all possible...