1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Safety? Working with autobody filler or fiberglass resin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1fish2fish, Jun 4, 2012.

1. always wear an organic respirator

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. wear an organic respirator when indoors

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. wear a paint mask

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. do not use any type of mask

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  5. only wear an organic respirator when sanding them

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. wear a paint mask while sanding, but no respirator otherwise

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I hope this poll format isn't annoying, but I'm curious how you guys tackle job (taxidermy) related safety, so I thought it might be interesting to take a survey on a commonly used material. There are some real dangerous chemicals and materials used in this line of work, and probably more than a few misnomers about safe usage of many products too. I'm no expert on the topic of safety (certainly not an OSHA rep), and try to refer to MSDS information, but that can be a bit confusing at times as well. Maybe getting some good safety info on the forum could be helpful to others branching out with what they do in taxidermy.
    Thanks, Scott

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Incomplete survey.....other options.....

I always pour/mix my bondo outside.

:)

Kerby...

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I always crank up the exhaust fan before opening can. Sand outside if neccessary.

4. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

I have a real bad habit, I don't think about the smell or anything when working with bondo until my wife comes to my shop and tells me I'm stinking up the place. That's when I turn on the fan and open the windows,,,, too late.

5. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I've used it in my basement, and irritate my hubby with the smell. I open the window, and have a fan going. I've only used it a few times down there, and decided to stick with ear liners, lol.