1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WT form Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

What is inside a WT form, both pedestal and a normal mount. Are they hollow? Or is there wood that attaches to the backboard that runs part way into the foam?

2. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Hidden treasure ;D you just got to cut it open to find it ;D

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

solid foam.

4. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

So in theory I could take a mule deer pedestal and make a cavity from the back of the form all the way to the mid neck?

5. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

yes, and put a hinge on the bottom jaw and you have a ventriloquist dummy. (my son wants one)

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

In "theory", however, your antlers would be enough weight to crush and implode your manikin without some serious internal support.

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

What would you think about a 8 inch by 8inch by 4inch cavity at the back of a pedestal mount, not the part that attaches to the wall.

8. George

Pedestals? Walls? Pedestals mount on tabile tops, not walls.

9. I have no idea if they are still in business or not, but Chandlers in Jackson Ms. made a foam mankin that was hollow about 1/2 way in.
    Sounds like your wanting to make a secret compartment. What are we hidden in there? ::) :D

10. John L

John L Active Member

I saw somewhere somebody had built a safe in the back of one. Not sure where I remember seeing it.

11. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Hidden safe, great idea but I still like the deer head ventriloquist dummy.

12. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

Not a bad idea.... but im affraid if someone breaks into my house, the deer heads are the FIRST things they're stealing! :)

13. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

That is exactly what I am going to do with a mule deer pedestal. I should have it on here in the months to come.

14. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

Here is a pedestal mount that is attached to the wall.

[​IMG]

15. George

That's a marketing strategy they CALL a "Wall Pedestal". In the truest form, that's is NOT a pedestal but rather an offset shoulder with a cutout.