1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrinkles

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Geno, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno New Member

Im never satisfied with the finished mount.So I continue to study the tips provided on this forum.After considerable reading in the old forums would like to hear opionions on deer wrinkles.Is paste the answer,relief cuts or loose skin etc?Your hands on is welcomed and thanks again.

2. Dean

Dean New Member

Some deer form wrinkles and some don't. The skin will dictate if there should be wrinklesor not, other wise the form has to be altered to fit the skin. Where are you refering to as far as adding wrinkles and loose skin?

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i don't know if this is right or wrong, but what i do, for say the ear, is place the ear where it goes. if it looks like it needs wrinkles then, i use a lip tucking tool and press them into the clay. so far its worked out OK. the judge at the show never commented on it being done wrong, so it must have been OK.

4. Geno

Geno New Member

Thanks folks mainly in the turns of the neck/shoulder area on the inside turns.I use clay and model the ear muscles too but seem to use more than a golfball size.Appreciate the git back hope this clarifys the area Im refering too.

5. Dean

Dean New Member

There may be a few small wrinkle in the ear are with ears forward. Some deer have them some don't. The skin seems to dictate where the wrinkles should be you can see them.. There will sometimes be lines formed in the skin. Long hair deer look like they have wrinkles at the ear butts but it is mainly the hair being parted and it gives the look of wrinkles. Many deer have to do a pretty severe turn before wrinkles start. They can start at the base of the neck and run all the way up into the jaw line. It depends on the individual animal. There are exceptions, so fit the skin on the form and the skin will tell you if wrinkles are needed or not. Very seldom do you see them on long haired deer. If a mount has them it's usually done for effect. Use reference. Wrinkles are soft and seldom noticable and most time way over done. Geno I'd say you may have more of a problem with the skin fitting the form and taxiing the skin to the right places.

6. Geno

Geno New Member

Dean thank you for your time.I agree with you especially on the long hair.I was trying to pronounce a little more in my mounts which are long haired.I may be biting more than I can chew.So again to you and the rest thanks guys and don't let this forum die Ive gotten better since this discovery and sometimes feel I should send tution. Geno

7. Always sculpt your wrinkles first. Never just wrinkle the skin, it has to have something under it for mass. If there is just skin wrinkles they will shrink and look bad.

8. there is nothing behind these wrinkles but hide paste and the form

9. same with this one

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Bubba:

Do you card with necking material or something similar to hold that wrinkle in place til the hide paste sets? It is difficult for me to keep them from smoothing out without carding...whether the cape is tanned or DP'ed.

11. I wouldnt even try this with DP skins. I shave my skins very thin with skiff knife.and yes I do pin the wrinkles with T pins while drying.sometimes duck neck material.

12. Geno

Geno New Member

Thanks Bubba,thats what I'm trying to achieve. Joeym appreciate the follow up question that helps.To all you again wow.Cant think of another profession that willingly shares their knowledge. Geno

13. Your welcome, Good Luck