1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dremel bit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RockyG, Jun 6, 2012.

1. RockyG

RockyG New Member

What dremel bits do yall use for taxidermy? Is there a fleshing, or cutting bit? What kinds are there? I just started and wanted to know so my work would be easier.

2. Only thing I use my dremel for is the sanding drum.
    I use this to thin eye's, lips, nose, etc.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Yep. And grind screw tips off the back of plaques.

4. atvgranny

atvgranny New Member

Same here,sanding drum. :)

5. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

If you do birds a small round bit can be used to trough slots around artificial bird beaks.

6. RockyG

RockyG New Member

There's no fleshing, or skinning bits?!?!? Dang, those are the kinds I needed but I guess I'll live.

7. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Rocky, I think what you are trying to do is find a short fast easy way around fleshing. I was once there. The best thing you can do is get yourself a good knife and a beem and learn how to use it correctly. Sit down and get comfortable with your favorite music playing and enjoy what you are doing. I have a steel that i use to sharpen my knife about once every minute to two minutes. The biggest break through for me was the sharp knife and getting comfortable. After I learned this i keep getting faster.

8. RockyG

RockyG New Member

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I can. The music idea is pretty good I wouldn't have thought of it.

9. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    Dave. You use the dremel to thing eyes/nose/lips? how well does that work?

10. I use the dremel on nose eyes and lips also. It just seems to roll the skin off and is easier to control than a knife. It is also easier to fleash between the hair roots without cutting them.

11. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    so you use a sanding bit to do it? I'm gonna have to try it

12. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

I use a drywall cutting bit to clean the meat/membrane around the antler plate, this is very simple after the meat/membrane has been allowed to dry out a few days. I use the same bit for sculpting the inside of the nasal cavities.

13. tem

tem Active Member

does it matter what grit sand papper to use when doing the nose,eyes and lips?

14. RockyG

RockyG New Member

What about the wire wheel? I think it might work if your careful. And what are those things mckenzie sells that are like a off brand dremel tool with 4 bits for fleshing, And other things. http://www.mckenziesp.com/KA10100-P13420C2051.aspx I'm sure someone has come up with a version for the dremel since it would be cheaper.

15. Heck

Heck New Member

Cheaper usually does not last as long. ;)

I use 120 grit on the 1/2" drum for thinning.... A 1/8 drill bit for nostril work on the form and a carbide bit for antler base cleaning.
    I even keep a new spare dremel on hand! ;) I'd be lost without my dremel!!! 10 years, been thru 3 dremel tools!!

16. Hey,

Pardon my ignorance, are you talking about doing your thinning once your capes are tanned? I've used a skife knife in the past but would be interested to see how the dremel works in its place.

Do you run high RPM's or lower?

I do my nostril work with one as well, and have done lip slots as well as orbital gland prep. Dremels are nice little tools for sure!