1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

30" whitetail cape

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Dave H, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Dave H

Dave H New Member

I put my 2012 comp mount on ebay because i have no where to put it so I figured why not try to make some money on it.

A guy sent me a message and asked how big the neck was. I told him about 21". he replied and said he has a collection and all his are at least 30" necks at the smallest measurement.

I have never seen a 30" neck in person or the internet or anywhere else.

Have any of you ever seen a real 30" neck, if so where did it come from?
  2. Depends on where they took the measurements, I have had several customers over the years say their deer had 30 + necks but they always measure over the hair and several inches down the neck. so i don't take store in anything i don't measure my self

3. Jolt

Jolt New Member

maybe he was measuring length! lol
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

nope the tape was folded
  5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Some big canadian bucks have such long hair that it can add a HUGE amount of "neck" if you measure over it.
  6. Heck

Heck New Member

I have a Sitka bt that was 27 over the hair, the form was 20...
  7. The largest i have personaly mounted had a 28 inch neck i mounted it on the largest form McKezie carries in an upright wall ped, I'm sure there are deer with 30 inch necks out there but they aren't common around michigan for sure
  8. Dave H

Dave H New Member

my biggest was a 26". I mounted a deer that grossed 257 last year and it had a 20" neck.
  9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The Deer from Anticosti Island or Anacostia Island are HUGE ... 30", 31", and 32" necks are not uncommon, in fact they rule!
  10. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr New Member

Weren't the deer stocked there? They look like typical northern Maine/eastern Canadian stumpy racks. I always assumed they were smaller deer because of the limited supply of food and the fact that they ear conifers to survive in the winter. Guess not
  11. LordRusty

Nope! Some of the biggest Deer I have ever worked on came from there. Big ass Deer! ;D Those antlers are normal. They are not fed all kinds of steroids and other antler growth enhancing crap. I never said they had overly large antlers, just big necks and big bodies. Their antlers will get thick, and do look proportionately small when on those massive tree trunk looking necks.

The faces are not overly long, which makes mounting them more challenging. I mean, a 7½" to 7¾" faces on 30" to 32" necks is ridiculous ... but when they're mounted up, they look sweet! I recall the first three I ever encountered, we had to order the largest headforms being made at the time from Chandler's and from Chase, and we built a couple of them up!

They may have originally been stocked there, I'm not sure, but they live, thrive, and survive. And it's an ISLAND ... so, no need for fencing. ;)
  12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

This one looks close to that.
  13. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Not quite 30" but easily 9 x 26 x 28 Michigan archery kill , it had a small rack so I got it for stock, cost me $20 ;D
  14. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

I will let you
    I will help you triple your money on that. I will give you $60 for it ! LOL
  15. LordRusty

DL, that's a freaking horse with antlers! Yowzers! :eek:
  16. Jim Willard had one at the Iowa Show in 2006/7 ish that was the biggest by far I've ever seen If it wasn't 30'' it was 29.9.
  17. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

We are working on one that is 32.This came off a captive breeder.Will email you pics when completed. Feel free to pm your email
  18. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have an extra one that is 27-28 at the ears. It is the biggest one that has come through my shop. I have a set of repos that is going to look great with it when the time comes.
  19. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

Im having a Minnesota Monarch being done right now on a cape that I purchased from this site about a year ago. That cape, according to my taxidermist is 9 e-n x 29 tight at the ears. I cant remember who I bought it from, and I promised him a picture when finished.