1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a Persian Leopard

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Daniel M., Jun 7, 2012.

1. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    I just thought I'd share some pictures of the mounting process for this Persian Leopard. It may not help anyone, but I know it will be fun to look at all the pictures ;D

So to start with, this is how I received the dead, frozen and allready necropsied (and rotting) leopard.

[​IMG]

They did a pretty good job removing the organs... lol

[​IMG]

I think its getting sleepy!

[​IMG]

Because it was allready starting to slip on the back legs, I had to skin it very carefully and I even pre-salted it as I skinned it.

[​IMG]

After I skinned it, fleshed it, and salted it (all very carefully) I tanned it. At this point only the back legs had slipped in some spots and on the face around the left eye. I wanted to mount it stalking/sneaking with a slight open mouth. So I ordered the form closest in size that was sorta doing that.

But, later when I pulled the skin out of the tan, I realized that it had not tightened up at all and was starting to loose more and more fur all over. The back legs slipped the most around the ankles and the feet. I knew there was no way to hide that other than to sit her down on her haunches.

[​IMG]

So... that meant I had to cut up my perfect leopard form :'( Oh well... ;)

[​IMG]

First I had to remove the rods in the legs, and then cut the legs off the body.

[​IMG]

Then I sliced up the body and made it into a sitting body.

[​IMG]

Then the fun part! I had to drasticly change the back legs. Its so easy to bend the real thing, but as hard as I tried, I just couldn't get that foam leg to bend at the knee :D

[​IMG]

So after I cleared that hurtle, I re-adjusted the body to more closely match the image that I wanted to copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I stuck the legs back on with some very long screws that my dad gave me :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I was happy with how it looked, I marked all the peices where they go, took them apart and foamed them back together.

[​IMG]

Then I had to recreate the proper length, girth, and extra bunched-up muscle on the back legs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just used some plaster and vermiculite for this.

[​IMG]

At this time, I went ahead and reshaped the rest of the form with the same stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I re-bent the original leg rods, and cut a grove for them.

[​IMG]

And foamed in.

[​IMG]

Then I built a simple 2x4 base.

[​IMG]

Okay, so now that I have the body done, I very carfully prepped the skin. At this point the fur was still continuing to "slide" off. Normally I dry the fur before I mount them with a master-blaster, but in this case it would have just blown all the hair right off.

Here's the skin before I mounted it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point, I didn't belive there was anyway that this would ever work. I got so frustrated that I had to step back and go on a walk through the woods to clear my mind. It was so bad, every time I touched it, even looked at it, it would lose more hair. I have to add that the whole time, I was praying to God that it would hold together just long enough so that I could get it drying. Without God's help, there is no way that I could have saved this leopard.

First I sewed up the tail, then I clayed the toes, and applied hidepaste. I mostly just tucked the back legs.

[​IMG]

Then I set the eyes and clayed the face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I mounted the face, I started sewing the front legs. Normally I set them upside down in a cradle to make sewing a lot easier, but because I couldn't tuch any part of it (it would just loose more fur) it was quite a chalenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I finished the legs, I had to suspend the mount upside down off the edge of my workbench inorder to sew the throat and belly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really frustrating sewing because it just kept slipping in new places.

[​IMG]

It was a huge relief, when I could turn it over and get the fans on it! I let it dry for about a week and a half until I was certain that the skin was 100% dry and that all the hair follicules had been locked down.

[​IMG]

Once I knew it wasn't going to get any dryer, I combed out all the fur that had detached from the skin before it had dryed. Unfortunalty, much of the fur around the slipped areas also brushed out.

This is just the fur that came out after the mount was dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the many slipped spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After letting it sit for a few months, I got around to finishing it ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a scrap cougar skin, so I decided to do an eyelash/eyebrow transplant, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought it turned out pretty good :)

[​IMG]

Then I finished the finish work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't have pictures of making the base, but here she is all finished and on her base!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just LOVE these spots! 8)

[​IMG]

Well, thanks for looking and I hope this was entertaining :)

2. Re: Re: Mounting a Leopard

man thats awesome. Glad you stuck it out and shared. You made something to be proud of out a piece of crap. Lol. Looks outstanding.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Re: Mounting a Leopard

Thank you.

4. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

I'm so glad you didn't give up because it turned out beautiful...and that base is really, really great as well.

5. Grihm

Grihm New Member

Absolutely unbelievable. I always look forward to seeing more of your stuff. You are truly talented.

6. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

You deserve a big pat on the back for sticking with it! I would have thrown in the towel, lol. Truly beautiful mount. Thanks for taking the time to post pics!

7. Lateral Line

Lateral Line The Sea Refuses No River...

Wow!! talk about turning lemons into lemonade! The Vatican should be calling soon for help with restoring some priceless relics :)

8. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Amazing work, Thanks for posting

9. grantgav

grantgav New Member

Hey thanks Daniel for taking the time to share that,very informative mate. Great work.
    Cheers Grant

10. smerjeevski

smerjeevski New Member

This is amazing, love the shots of the carcass, they'll come in handy for a few drawing and sculpture projects of mine.

11. strutinh

strutinh Member

WOW in credable save !!!!!!!! a pure shame the way they treated that before you got it ! great job

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel. I've always thought you were a prodigy and you keep proving me right. Exceptional job there.

13. Allie

Allie Active Member

Very inspiring. Thank you and I appreciate and love your tutorials. Great job!

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

that proves just about anything can be saved...great job.....i can almost smell that rotting carcuss

15. Re: Mounting a Leopard

Great save and beautiful work as always Daniel

16. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

great cat and wonderful save instead of ditching it

17. IDForkHorn

IDForkHorn Common sense just isn't that common anymore

Nice pics and save!

18. Re: Mounting a Leopard

Praise God!!! He is STILL into answering prayers. Great job!! Faith without works... Keep up the faith.

19. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Awesome,your patients payed off, turned out great !

20. bucknduck

bucknduck Member

Very Nice!