1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need advice of feather smell

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Joshua412, Jun 8, 2012.

1. i recieved, from a "friend", a roadkilled rare bird that was in pretty bad decomp. i couldn't salvage it so i removed all the feathers by plucking, cutting, and tearing just to get that thing out of here.

my question is, is there ANYWAY to get this smell off these feathers or is it useless. all the feathers are in great shape besides some tail feathers so i would like to keep them to place around my collection. but i can still smell a decomp smell on them and they have been dried off body for almost 6 or 8 weeks now.

i'm not really familiar with this problem so hoping someone on here can help.

thank you for any replies!

2. Ittybit

Ittybit New Member

just a quick question....you said rare bird. Is it just rare or is it illegal to have in your position? Just wondering because here in IL you are not allowed to have even the feathers of a song bird, hawk or eagle in your position. You might try washing them in dawn, rinse in Dawny and letting the dry.

3. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

You are asking for big trouble. Unless you have a salvage permit or possession for Educational purposes,you can't possess any part of a bird(migratory or songbird). I would get rid of the feathers-not worth the headache to say nothing of potential fines for possession. Just a heads-up
  4. The bird is legal for me to posses.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

the self appointed taxi net police
  6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I would bet that most people aren't legal to just pick up RARE "road kill" and do what they want with it......giving a friendly warning should be seen as a good thing.

I get TONS of calls every year from people who picked up a hawk, owl, or song bird that say "just found dead" or "was hit by a car" with zero knowledge of it being illegal to have them.
  7. Now I'm curious. What kind of bird is it?
  8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Joshua, if you are in Pennsylvania and the bird is legal for you to possess then it is either a starling, an English sparrow, or a feral pigeon.
    It is certainly not a "rare" bird.
    If you are a Native American you *might* be able to get a permit to possess eagle feathers, but you still have to abide by the law and possessing them without a permit is illegal.
  9. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

any non native quail,pheasants,parakeets,parrots,albino starling? any number of birds that would be legal and could be considered "rare" by any individual.......the post was about "feather smell".....geeez...
  10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Wash the feathers in Dawn, rinse WELL. Blow dry to fluff if needed.
  11. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Bet you are really glad you asked about feathers :eek: :eek:. The smell most likely is rotting somewhere on the root base or blood if the quills are large enough to contain an amount. I'd throw them away before the taxi-police raid your home. Never mind all the other crimes you will be an easy "ticket"
  12. the bird is not a rapture or migratory bird.
    rare does not always mean illegal.

i would rather someone tell me things i already know, then to not tell me something i don't know. so thank yinz for the heads up irregardless. i am fully aware on the laws of such birds and definitely not stupid enough to post about it like some. ;)

thank yinz though for the warnings and advice. i tried the dawn and it seemed to help. but i actually got the smell to go away by putting them in a bag with incense for aboot 2 weeks, so i don't know what did it actually soap or incense.

the bird it found was a goldish-white colored, albino looking turkey. it has some real nice variation which i personally have never heard or seen, hence my usage of the word RARE.

seeing a
  13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Ahh - turkey feathers! Okay, knowing that will help. I would suggest that you soak them overnight in a solution of water and your favorite fragrance of liquid laundry detergent. You can start out with hot water in order to speed up the process. Rinse them very well and they should lose the rotten smell.

Incidentally, the best way that I have found to dry large numbers of loose body feathers is to put them into a container, like maybe a large bowl or a dishpan, and to stretch some nylon mesh over it, anchored down with a rubber band or string, tape, whatever ...
    You can blow dry them right through the mesh and while they are whirling around they will fluff up very quickly.
  14. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Now there's a neat idea!
  15. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Make a mix of
    Ultra Dawn Antibacterial
    Dawn with odor eraser
    Tide with Febreze
  16. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

I got a bird in that was in a freezer with a skunk and reeked.wrapped it up with dryer sheets and bagged it up with some borax and sealed tight,back into freezer.......washing and drying then seal up with some dryer sheets or camphor
  17. ok. thank yinz guys!

i think i'm going to try doing them all in order you posted till something works. someone has to be right, right?