1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirt base idea

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by duxdown, Jun 8, 2012.

1. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Has anyone tried mixing plaster of paris, tempra paint and potting soil for a base covering?? Just a thought i may try a small batch just to see how it looks and dries.

If u have already tried this chime in no sense waisting time. I usually do the 50/50 elmers thing but was just researching tonight and thinking, about it. I saw the bondo/resin method and that looked good to. Just dont want to try that just yet.

Any input appreciated. OH GEORGE!!!

Will Collins

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

IMO that is going way beyond what is needed....and you are adding alot of weight. Unless done in thicker applications, plaster can and usually will crack and break down the road. I have made bases with it before, way back when, and remember why I made a change to how I do them now ;D

3. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Elmers glue,tempera paint and potting soil.Duxus is right on weight.Might as well add coffee grounds if a Tornado is forthcoming.At least cheap.

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

On plain DIRT all I do is use 100% Elmers, paint it on thick, and cover the base with dirt....aka sifted dark brown/black yard mulch. Let dry for two days and shake off access. Nice looking dry dirt, cheap, and no extra weight :) I only use a 50/50 mix to spray on to pine needles to keep them in place......I think it tends to "wet" down dirt that should look 100% dry in some scenes if you are "spraying" dirt with a mix.

5. Re: Re: Dirt base idea

I just did one and I used 3m spray adhesive and mulch dried in the sun it works good

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Thanks guys was just thinking out loud.

7. I use 100% elmers on my armature. Dirt is made from a mixture of peatmoss, cut up finely moss, crushed finely leaves and crushed up finley lichen. Once the armature is covered I let it dry. I blow the loose excess off with very light presure. About what you can blow out of your mouth to just remove the loose peatmoss from top of the leaves, moss and lichen. Then with a thinned elmers (so It will pump through a spray bottle some what) I spray the entire dirt area to lock in the loosely held pieces.

8. I use 100% elmers on my armature. Dirt is made from a mixture of peatmoss, cut up finely moss, crushed finely leaves and crushed up finley lichen. Once the armature is covered I let it dry. I blow the loose excess off with very light presure. About what you can blow out of your mouth to just remove the loose peatmoss from top of the leaves, moss and lichen. Then with a thinned elmers (so It will pump through a spray bottle some what) I spray the entire dirt area to lock in the loosely held pieces.