1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Guides are Killing me !!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Jun 10, 2012.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I get so mad... They want their clients happy right , but do they know what they are doing to US?
    I just got in 3 browns, Oh my god. I have one here that is MAYBE going to be a 5 to 6 footer if I pray over the skin a lot, Well the hunter of course only understands the words the guide spoke.
    My guide told me it was a 7 1/2 footer, NO he said it squared 7 to 71/2 feet but the hunter never hear that.

I have another that claims he's got a 8 1/2 footer, measure this one salted it's not even 6 feet.

I had another hunter, my guide said ,my bear is a 8 footer we better be careful, with those 3 foot long back legs this thing is not going to be 11 feet tall, it won't fit in my house......
    Bear measures 72 " nose to tail 6'

I'm going to lots of fun come fall when just these three are mounted...not to mention the rest that come in and are on the way shipping in and ones already here....

The best one ever was this local guy. shoots a yearling grizzly and has to shoot at and over a 800 lb MOM grizzly that is pissed he just shot her cub while the guide skins the cub, before that he take pictures , you know the ones where he and the guide are sitting 10 feet behind the bear with their small little heads sticking up over the back of the bear???? He gets them to run a story in the paper how he shoots a 900 8 footer in Alaska.
    The paper publishes the story and prints about this 900 lb sow in the story, and prints the famous guide pics , he starts to believe his own lies and then the BIG SHOCKER....

I deliver his bear to his store where all his mounts are and when I arrive he asks why is my bear so small it weighted 900 lbs.

I said I guess you don't remember you shot a cub, and she weighted only about 200lbs remember?????

He then tells me....."Oh okay, don't get it out here, lets take it to my house and put it in the basement...."

Bear Guides and Hunters....GIVE US A BREAK ! PLEASE !

2. EA

EA Well-Known Member

900# cubs, Thats funny.

Sounds like they would make a fisherman blush.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I HATE when June comes because of those exact same stories. To top that, the clowns around here insist on taking bazookas to shoot them. Last year a local dentist brings me his bear. It is a 30 pound cup that he shot in the front shoulder with a .375 H&H. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put BooBoo back together again.

And we won't talk about the lazy assed guides east of the Mississippi who think that sending a bear skin along with 60 pounds of fat is "normal".

4. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I have one group of guys that go to maine every year the outfitter alwasy tells them they are 300lb and they are never even close.

I did have a group just get back from Alberta. they brought in 8 Black bear, and I was totally shocked when I thawed them out. all the lifesize had been dorsel skinned and the rugs were belly skinned. The feet were skinned completely out to the toe nails. the skulls were skinned out and tongues and eyes removed and all extra meat removed. I wanted to kiss that outfitter on the lips ;D ;D ;D

5. Huntress

Huntress Member

This has been a problem for me also.
    I've seen some guides 'square' by taking the length and add the width over the belly (with the hide laying flat) but I've also seen some take the width measurement from front paw to front paw, over the shoulders. :eek:

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Guides are just making a sale. Once that hunter leaves camp and the outfitter has their cash they could careless about our experience. Funny stuff.

7. Heck

Heck Active Member

I find it amazing that someone...hell, 90% of the bears I get, are skinned with so much fat and "roasts" on them!! I have skinned my fair share of bears, and for the life of me, cannot skin one and try to leave that much crap on the hide.
    Then you get the clients telling me, "I can't wait to get this brute back, my guide told me it'll make the book!"....the skull is maybe 16"....the hide closer to 5' than the 7' they are claiming.
    Had one guy tell me he put the perfect shot on his bear...... I said, "there is but one 'perfect' shot, for a bear.". He tells how it was a 300 yd shot down in the bottom of a complete hell hole and it was so big he had to skin and quarter and pack for a day and a half to get him all outta there......I simply tell him "THE perfect shot on a bear is when the gun goes bang, the bear falls dead, gutted, in the back of the truck....THAT is the perfect shot on a bear!" With bears it is all fun and games till you shoot one.. ;)

8. Reminds me of all the 16" perch and 18" crappie stories I hear. I know it is just stories, but it starts to bug me when a guy actually catches a 14" perch and says he ate it because his buddy catches 16 inchers all day long and will be taking him out soon. Still waiting for pics.....

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's in our DNA to lie about size.

10. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    Gameover

I did mount a crappie last summer that measured 18 3/4 so they do get mounted sometimes.

11. Doesn't everybody know that Canadian Bear shrink when they cross the border? That's a direct quote from my brother. He believed his guide when he measured it. Now that I think of it maybe the guide cut 12" off the end of the tape and had him hold the smart end?

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had a guy bring in a bear last year for a life size. He cut from the top of the back paws over the knees, up the front of the thighs, coming to a point at the lower chest. It had a white patch there so he cuts from that point over to left arm pit and up the arm and over the top to the back of the paw instead of to the pads. He then tubes the chest, neck, shoulders, and right leg because he wanted to save the white patch. I asked what pose. He said standing on back legs. I asked where are the sex organs, vent,and tail. He says "oh, guess you might need those, huh". He then, after my suggestion, chooses a real nice 3/4 life size. And I have a lot of extra sewing to do.

13. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Bears are great. Especially the ones from Guides and Outfitters. You gotta work with what you got. It's not un common for bears to come in missing the vent and sex organs, cut wrong, etc. Thats why I charge hourly for repairs.

14. Not saying never. I'm saying it is very rare. And many of the stories are not of people catching just one. I have done a crappie that was 17 1/2 (black crappie). But usually the ones that end up in my shop are 13-15. Every time I hear of the 13-15 inchers all day long upon examination they are 12 with an occasional 13-14. Exception was Red Lake a few years back during the boom. The average was actually like 14" and 15" were nearly as common. 16-18 did also get caught but the biggest I personally saw was the 17 1/2. We went up at the end of the boom just before winter crappie disappeared and the walleye came back and we only caught 3, but they were all 14-15 1/2. I think the worst panfish stories are the perch stories. A big fat pregnant 13" jumbo looks so huge coming thru the ice people just can't help but hide them from a measure tape and scale and the story turns into 16" perch in the hundreds!