1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When is enough ENOUGH???

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jasonscustom taxidermy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. For those who do not know me.
    I am very perticular about my work almost O.C.D. even.
    Well I have been told several times before that it looks perfect,or the ol' its good enough man.
    Well I want it to be as good as I can possibly make it,but spending double the amount of time on everything isnt good buiseness,but neither is bad work.
    Now I am not saying throwin stuff together is the game at all.I just want it perfect.Keep in mind I am talking about commercial work not comp work.BIG DIFFERENCE.
    I just come to the point were I just say yes its almost alive just tweak this slightly do that,no no completly rehydrate the whole dang thing and start over no,no,no,hunny,son,Tom,Dick,Harry,Paul come look at this, and look at these pictures what do you think?

Now I am sure some of you get everything perfect every time,but Im still humble enough to admit the above.
    You every get to that point on something?

2. I feel you man, i have the same problem working on anything creative. Put so much of myself into the work, i find it so hard to break away...... its resulted in alot of very late nights working and reworking the same stuff. A real artist is his own harshest critic, everytime!

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I do the same thing with my drywall work and carpentry. It's the curse of looking at things with a trained eye. Joe Public doesn't have that going for him. We stress over things that 99% of the world would never see if we didn't point them out ourselves. "I think it looks good EXCEPT for this.. EXCEPT for that."

I've learned to go with "Pleasing to the Eye". That all the public expects, and a lot easier than "Pleasing to the Gods". Granted, easier said than done.

4. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I think most artistically inclined people will think the same as you Jason. I would not be happy selling something that I was did not like, or was not "happy" with. So if I don't like it I start again !
    Not good for business though,but I think after a while even artists learn to recognize that point when enough is enough, and to continue would spoil the piece.
    I would rather buy from someone like yourself, than from someone who simply threw something together and said, "well that will do"
    John

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I am that way as well, like you say not good for business though. It does get maddening at times. If mounts aren't going out the door I am not making money. I use the wife as the final word sometimes on a mount. If she says it looks good I call the customer shortly there after. I don't want the piece hanging here for long or I will keep trying to tweak it one way or another. 3bears

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You guys have to wake up to reality. Even when the animal was alive it wasn't "perfect" and there's no way you're going to make it better than it was then. WITHIN REASON, obvkously, you're incapable of "perfect" work. I know of only one competition mount that received a 100. Ask Rick Carter how many 100's he'gotten and then compare your talent to his. It can be a sobering thought.

I know I'm never truly "happy" with any mount leaviing my shop. It seems that while the customer is walking out the door I see things I should have done. The day that stops happening to you, you need to find another job. The most satisfaction I ever get from my work is to see it someplace a few years down the road and not recognize it as one I did. You're always going to be dissatisfied when you see your past efforts, as you should be, because you should be improving with every mount. After 50 years it hasn't changed for me. Even some of my "best" work is seen today as needing something else.

So Jason, the ENOUGH is right now. You've had ENOUGH second guessing. Do the very best you're capable of and then walk away. If there are issues, then you didn't do the best you were capable of AT THAT TIME. You can't go back. Use it as a lesson learned.

7. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

If you have OCD then maybe certain jobs are not for you. I have been accused of having it several times. LOL

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I do agree with ya George a little, but what about the other side of that coin, when a person becomes complacent and just says that is the best I can do and doesn't try to improve. I feel that could be a big issue. As far as 100's in competitions are concerned, I understand that a live animal wouldn't even receive one, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to achieve perfection but also be smart enough to realize we will most likely never reach that goal. 3bears

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hello George, I believe Rick Carter states in his credentials on his taxidermy classes post that he has in fact received (2) perfect 100's at the national level competitions.
    Regards, Geno

10. I understand what your saying George,but I have to pop this out.Yes Rick Carter is 1 of the best and alot better at it then me duh,but isnt our goal to be the best we can be and never stop improving.One day I hope to be better then him(might just be a dream)ahahahha but you never know.I know that if there WAS NOT at least one little thing not perfect to me on every mount I would be alot happier,but not at the level I am striving to stay at and build on to the top?
    But like my post says when do you just say enough is enough that one hair is out of place,but I have to be done.Or the right eye looks .0001 of a micro-meter more open then the left?

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You say 'enough is enough' when you start losing money! I second guess every piece almost that goes out of my shop, that is normal for people that take pride in their work..... but the quickest way to overcome some of your OCD is to start thinking of it as a business. Time is money and not every deer needs to become an experiment in perfection, it just needs to be a simple work if quality.

I don't care if your mounts look like $1,000 mounts, your still only getting paid what you charged the client. ALWAYS keep that in the back of your mind.

Also try something. Rush a deer. I mean mount it quick as possible, write on a sheet everything you may forget to to like specially clayed areas, etc.. Mount it in 2-3 hours, adjust good/quick as possible and then bag it. The next morning give yourself 30 minutes to tweak it, that night 15 minutes and the next day 10 minutes and leave it....... then mount a deer taking your usual long time. I bet in the end when comparing the two the rushed one will look better and help convince you to speed up.

You're thinking of what to do instead of letting your natural talent take over as it will when rushing.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jason both you and 3BearsI are missing what I said. Do the best you are capable of. You cant be complacent and do that any more than you can give over 100%. And with the hundreds of competitions Rick only has two says more than I can. If you do the best you can the first time around, you won't have any room to improve on THAT ONE.

13. I will elaborate on it George
    natural "live deer" does not please anyone in taxidermy(eyes etc...)
    compotition= pleaseing the judges eyes
    commercial= pleaseing the customer eyes
    my problem/ my work=pleaseing me

14. I will try that Micheal just send me one of your deer to do that with.

15. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The people of his day and people world wide to this day still complain and bitch about and critize the only perfect person ever, Jesus. Get over it. Do your best, keep learning and then let it go. After that you are just becoming another problem for yourself.

16. Every time I see your posts James, I druel over that muley . I just love monster typicals !!

Michael P , I like how you think! A guy can only nit pick so much.

17. agreed

18. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

That is the UNofficial #2 in the world typical muley. It has a 40 inch spread. It was poached in Mexico and brought into the USA illegally by a Cody man named Baker. AKA "The Baker Buck" It has a long history. The untagged rack alone was purchased by Mike Boyce for 50K and then he resold it for 60K and it took alot more money for him to get out federal trouble over it. My understanding is that he was found innocent but lost all the money he had in having it plus paying his lawyers and grief deluxe for a few years. I mounted it for the US Fish and Wildlife dept. in 1997. It now hangs in the Boone and Crocket hdqrts in Bozeman Montana.

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

What's your address?

I'm telling you, you know what you are doing and have the ability to do a deer in 2-3 hours as well as one you do in 6-8. The problem is that your skills have not advanced to the level your mind is trying to take you. I bet that 2-3 hour deer will look better than the 6-8 hour deer because you are doing what you already know how to do correctly in that time and are trying to learn what to do correctly with the other 4-5 hours.

Best other advice I can give you is go take a class with Rick Carter, spend your $1,000 and let him take you where your mind is trying to go. What he can teach you in 20 hours will save you 100's of hours..... in turn, that $1,000 investment can turn into $10,000 worth of savings in time a year.

It's a business, just keep remembering that.

20. Oh wow, had no idea of the story behind that rack. Thanks for taking the time!! Ive mounted one buck that was just under 40 wide from the 50's out of Arizona, grossed 235 with a 214 typical frame if I remember right.

Good info there Michael P , makes sence when you look at it that way. Not everybody does .