1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinned for Lifesize

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by gobbler71, Jun 11, 2012.

1. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

I don't do many bears but a couple of customers killed bears this week on a Quebec trip and thought they wanted lifesize mounts so they had them skinned from chin to anus and out to paws (belly or ventral). On the way to me they decided to do 1/2 lifesize or 3/4 wallmounts. Is this going to cause me alot of extra headache and stitching?

2. Alot more stitching. When they bring them to you charge extra for the stitching to the chin.

3. If you have done a few bears in the past, couldn't you have answered your own question?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why would it be more of a pain on a half size or a shoulder mount than a lifesize? As long as the hair is good, no real thin spots, it isn't that hard to hide. Yes, not the preferred way to skin for anything other than a rug, but should be fixable. 3bears

5. Mountainman Vic

Mountainman Vic New Member

I'd charge them for the extra stitching. It's hard to believe how people go through all kinds of preparations for a trip like that but never do any checking on how to preseve their trophy.

6. X2 on that.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I killed a large bear a few years ago and knew I was going to do a lifesize on it. After an hour of trying to get it into the truck and with it being 10 p.m. by that time, I finally had to gut it. I hated doing this, but we just couldn't get it in the vehicle any other way. We finally got it in and I spent hours sewing it back up anus to chest. You couldn't see any stitching when it was done. My point is that it's not always possible to keep it whole or dorsal skin it. I have guides refer many bears to me every year. I've asked them to dorsal skin them unless they are going to be rugs, but they never do. Don't be too hard on the clients. Your bear prices should take into account extra sewing.

8. turn on the raido to your favorit station and dont think about all the stiching before you know it its all done , there all the same so get used to it have fun mark c