1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished Grouse, Habitat, Case

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Recdec1, Jun 11, 2012.

1. About two weeks ago I posted some pics of my first attempt at a grouse and my first attempt at a custom habitat. I figured I would share a couple of pics of how it turned out and the display case that I had made locally. Was wondering what some of you guys would charge for something similar to this (quality of work included as I am a "rookie"). I am charging $350 for everything, just wondering what your thoughts might be. I did post this same topic in the beginners section as well, hope you guys don't mind me doubling up. Thanks for any opinions you may have. Contrary to some peoples belief, I take all the criticism you experienced folks have to heart and try to improve with each mount. Thanks again for what you guys do for us new comers!

Attached Files:

2. Second Pic

Attached Files:

3. Third Pic

Attached Files:

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

from what i see it looks great. 350 is actually a good deal . the only thing i see is the legs look a little off.

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

If everything in the pic is included (bottom part of table also I assume) that would be 450-500 every day of the week.......cases don't come cheap :)

6. daniel

daniel New Member

350 TOO CHEAP thats the problem at least for me nobody wants to pay for BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS...try getting a plumber or electrician for the amount of TIME you put into this .....IF WE GOT PAYED THE SAME AS THEM THINGS WOULD BE A LOT DIFFERENT.....DANIEL.. :-X :-X :-X :-X

7. Yeah you guys are rite. This is my first year in the biz and my prices on average are way below most. I figured that for the my first year, people are gambling their doe as I don't have a reputation yet. Also, most of my customers this year were friends and friends of friends, so that didn't help anything in terms of price. Thanks for perspective.

8. Ted

Ted Member

Looks good. I would put a little more of an S curve in the neck. Price is way too low. Birds should be $200 alone. Case another 150 to 200 MINIMUM.

9. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

I am fairly new to taxidermy, couple years. These are my first two grouse. I charged 500.00 and really should have ben 550.00. 225.00 per bird plus 100.00 for base and habitat

Attached Files:

10. That is sexy mount! Love the composition, may take that into consideration for a future grouse set up. Thanks for feedback.

11. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Nice case, way too cheap. 600-1000 is perhaps more like it and when you break it down into a per-hour rate, you would get a better return if you were flipping burgers. I know I am in the same position. One case I did I added the time and it took around 200 hours in total to create. So what could I charge for that, nowhere near the value / effort required. Everyone likes nice stuff, but few willing to pay what it really takes.

12. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Case- $400.00 Habitat- $200.00 Grouse- $325.00 Total- $925.00

13. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

I'm closer to harrys price, $300 for the grouse and a minimum of $500 for a case and habitat like that.... you guys sell yourselves way too short!!!! but the bird looks pretty nice! so does the case and habitat....

14. Wont sell short like that again. Just a newbie and trying to get started. Thanks for insight fellas and compliments!

15. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

I hear ya, friends and relatives are the worst, charge em double!!! hahaha... ;)

16. You know it isn't ever that easy. Thinking I may put up a sign in the shop that says friendship stops where business begins lol. Not that I could have the heart to do that. Thanks again!

17. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

No doubt. I have over 100 birds to do for friends that I hunt with and family. Most them complain about the 100 I charge to cover costs. Most if them are going to 250 unless there's a good deal in exchange.

18. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.