1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would you like more Money?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sluggo7, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    I'm relatively new to doing taxidermy. I have had it happen on some of the things I have done, the customer asks if I need or want more money because they liked my work... I've always said no and took the price that I gave them. What would you do??

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've never had anyone ask me that.

3. I'm relatively new as well, but the only thing that would make me think that someone would actually say that would be that they thought you were severely under-pricing your work.

Guess it really depends what you are priced at or why your clients would offer something like that to ya...

4. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

X2 thats what I was thinking to !

5. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    I guess I am new to this so yeah I am giving low prices for the time I spend trying my best and making specimens look the best of my ability.

6. Thats awesome! post some pictures of your work!

7. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    I just started my account yesterday so I gotta figure out how to get pics on here

8. I do commissioned character drawings, and have on more than one time recieved a tip. Most recently, someone sent me twice the money that I charged them. I'm always gracious, and just accept it.

It has made me up my base prices recently though.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I am rarely offered more than I charge. There have been a few tips, but they were usually in the $5-10 range when someone says "Don't worry about the change, you earned it".

10. When asked that question the correct response is. Sure, how much ya got with you. Might as well make up for the guy before and after him thats gonna try and short you

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. Re: Re: Would you like more Money?

Only time I get tips when I do rush work I may need to be asking u how u get extra money

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    I do taxidermy as a way for extra money, but when offered more money I have never taken it. I drive semi for a full time job in my area so taxidermy is something to do in my off time

13. I do taxidermy as my main income and I'm usually the one whose trying to get my money out of some of my customers not getting no extra

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Your customers are obviously telling you that your prices are to cheap. Bump them up. They would have to pay more if they went to another taxidermist, they might as well pay you.

15. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    I am slowly increasing my prices. I've been doing deer for 300 and 7.50 an inch for fish. Really cheap for my area but since I am new I don't feel I can ask much more like they will take it to the other guy who's "got more experience". I'm still working on getting my federal for birds and getting a wheel but I haven't gotten that far yet

16. Personally I think thats a bad business strategy. I think your pricing should have more to do with the quality of your work and the value of your time and costs vs what anyone else (experience or not) is doing.

I'm just starting up my business right now. I am setting a pricing structure that pays my bills and is in line with where I beleive the quality of my work is. Right now I'll be priced higher than some guys who have been 'doing it for years'. I feel quality is more important than 'years of service' and its all about finding the pricing point that works for you and your clients. So, if the quality of your work justifies it, and you can continue to book work at a higher price, then I'd say its something you should at least look at.

As I said, I may be out to lunch but thats my thoughts on pricing strategy.

17. I have a few wealthy clients that tip me every time from $40.00-$100.00.
    At first i would decline it because somehow it seemed wrong to me.
    After a while it finally dawned on me, take the money, I didn't ask for, they offered it, they got plenty of it and its time i get mine.
    From that day on, now i just say Thank you and put it in my pocket.

18. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

I like the folks who think if they bring you 2 of something they should get a discount.

I went and filled up 2 tanks of gas and asked for a deal... they told me where to go.

I only get tips from my "best friends", in which case I got hosed on the rest! :)

19. sluggo7

sluggo7 Member

MN
    Yeah I think I will start taking the money and re-figure my prices

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Think of it as God trying to bless you through others. Never turn down money, help, or advice from smarter people.