1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP: Shipping Tails outside the US

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by HinaUchi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. So I have a bunch of tails up for sale on my art site, and a few people from out of states [one Canada, other Australia] are interested, but I heard about animal parts not being able to be shipped outside the US without consequences without a license? Can someone clear this up for me?

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Where, and how would I obtain the license or ''O.K'' to ship my taxidermy out of states? Any ideas on how much it'd cost for a license or ''O.K''

Also, how are the postal services aware/know what is in the box if it's shipped outside the US? Do they open it up, scan it, etc?

2. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

North american native critters are a nono from what I understand. No bobcat, red grey kig or arctic fox, no wolf, etc. ranch raised coloured foxes I have been told are okay.

You meed to be a licensed taxidermist to get proper shipping tags otherwise. Just selling pretanned and premounted items doesn't make you a taxidermist however, it makes you a hobbiest otherwise.

Speaking of, I believe the only loophole would be the one pertaining to a finished mount being legal to imtermational shipping.

Post offices should never open your packages unless they smell something fishy, im that case usually they will call whoever handles the stuff such as fish and game, you get pulled in, you show your paperwork (tags, cites, your license, etc.) You have none no good will come from ot, you can get fined for it.

Personally, I don't take international orders on small stuff, me shipping a $15 to Oz for $35 shipping on top of it? Eh. Not so much.

Just what I've dealt with and heard from the grapevine, I never have had to deal with anything major.

3. So if I sent off a ranched raised silver fox to Australia would it be alright? O: Do you have any idea how much it'd be to obtain a license and whatnot?

4. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

you need a federal liscence, not a taxidermists lisc. and you pay about $60 an hour inspection fees at the border in, addition to the cost of the lisc. how do they know? l you just posted it on a public forum. it`s lie mailing herion in the mail. you might get away with it. you can do it legal, but not for any $5 a tail. try $100-500 a tail and a lot of paperwork and head aches. you want to play, you got pay. on the silver fox, no any animal product is illegal without the usfws lisc and inspection fees. read that again. it is what it is. don`t mess with the usfws. being young or pretty won`t phase them a bit. forget the foreign customers. good chance they are federal agents and not legit anyway

5. Night weaver, it is very wrong of you to give advice when you kow nothing of the law. what your doing is not legal; if you tell others its ok then you are putting them in harms way...since you dont know the law you should not be telling others whats ok to do. The fines start at 10 grand with the possibility of addtional jail time and loss of licenses. All animals going across any international border must go through usfw, us customs and usda you must have them inspected failure to do so is against the law. furthermore many animals can not even cross state lines much less international borders. untill you understand the law your best to keep quiet and not get people into trouble...if you choose to do it illegally thats your business.

6. Mink

Mink New Member

I think it is simply not worth the effort to even try and ship furs overseas. There is too much that can go wrong, SivkoFur explains it very well. You will find plenty of customers here within the USA, and to avoid other questions just write it plain and simple in your ads that you cannot ship outside of the country.

In fact, if you are just selling tails, go to an Anime convention and set up a vendor or artist booth. That's what I'm doing with all my tails this weekend, in fact! This is our local Tampa FL anime con (MetroCon) charges only $75 to set up an artist booth, and I have made easily $1,800 there in the past , mainly by selling tails. The good thing about selling at local events is that you don't even have to ship what you sell. Items are paid for and taken away right there, so is much easier to profit like this in my opinion.

7. bob wendt

if anyone is interested, I have 15-20 raw frozen skinned coyote tails and maybe 6-8 coon. I can salt dry so safe shipping. shoot me an offer. lol, if you live in the u.s. .......

8. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

I got all my non-cites animals shipped back to australia with no licence or fee or customs inspections.
    CITES on the other hand, now that's just a bitch. i'm not even bothering with my bear or bobcat cause its too much

BUT

I did ship it on the plane with me when I went home, not in the post, may have made a difference, I could talk to the people at customs explaining my situation, and it was for non-commercial use anyway

however, when i go back to aus in june, i plan on posting all my non cites animals in the post, we'll see how that goes (again, non-commercial use)

EDIT:

last year i brought a fox tail from hong kong (probably a dog tail now i think about it), that was no problem, no licence needed from the selller

9. bob wendt

you were illegal if you went anywhere from the u.s. . just lucky you didn`t get caught. we are talking u.s. laws, nothing to do with australia or hng kong. doesn`t matter if commercial or not. I can`t grasp what part ioof illegal to import or export animal parts out of the u.s. without a usfws liscence and inspection at the border that you folks don`t grasp. oh well, it`s your risk. if the feds come a knocking, bye bye!

10. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

I had all my tags numbers for all my animals.,
    I even told them at the airport what was in my oversized baggage..

they didint care :S

11. bob wendt

tell you what, you call rthe usfws and tell them what you did. tell them you had all your tags and whatever. when you get back to the u.s. , or if you are here now, I`m sure a ufws agant will be there to greet you. why can`t you grasp you are a smuggler of illegal wildlife and subject to us. laws? this has been gone over many times before. you are at your own risk.

12. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

woah woah woah!
    I didint do it on purpose.

and yes, Ive been let back int he country without any fine or anything.
    i did my research, I called US fish and game before i sent ANYTHING back.

They said any native, non cites animals used for a once off, non commercial shipping purpose, can be sent off without a licence. ( i had one blacktail, a fox, squirrel, racoon, and 2 yotes)

I double checke,d I asked at the airport when I left, I asked at Australian customs when I arrived aswell. Not a single problem.

Im not telling the OP this is the way to do it, cause its not, Mine was a once off shipment. the only thing i got in trouble was in Australian Customs where they don't accept wet tanned, non-mounted animals, only dry tanned.

Ill doube heck before I send my next shipment back though, thank you for your warnings.

13. bob wendt

this has nothing to do with airport personel, they havn`t a clue of the wildlife laws. nor anyone in australia. usfws doesn`t care if what you did was intentional or not. just saying.

14. The tails and things I have to ship out are all already tanned and very clean, so how would that go about? And how do they know whats in the box when you ship something?

15. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

Hm! Well, I was just stating what I was told by another taxidermist. I never claimed it was the offical way or anything, just what I was told. I apparently misunderstood the fed license, I knew whatever paperwork and licensing was needed was expensive as all anuthing though. I was told it was anywhere from $600-1k for it I didn't delve into it. Heck, I hate shipping clothing and non-fur items over seas, let alone dealing with customs and the feds.

I would say listen to Bob. That and I agree with him and Sivko, just not worth it. Ellie is the only person I know to make profit off tails at art and anime things, heck, my tails wouldn't sell? I sold and traded to her.

Edit; Hina it's not worth the quick buck. As Sivko and Bob just corrected me on, there's no way around it. I was missinformed by a taxidermist, as well as a few fur dealers apparently acting illegeally

16. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

"All animals going across any international border must go through usfw, us customs and usda you must have them inspected failure to do so is against the law."

It's all in Bob and Sivko's comments Hina, read them carefully. Trust me, as a small time or hobby seller it isn't worth all the money and headache to ship legally overseas. If you just toss a fox tail in a package and ship it that would be against the law and you could be fined thousands of dollars for it.

17. bob wendt

another option is have a liscenced broker handle the sale for you. but of course it still would be cost prohibitive , unless a pricey item. or buy your own usfws liscence and keep the records and pay the inspection fees. choice # three is DON`T DO IT. there is choice #4, do it, probably get by with it. folks smuggle on heroin all the time and get away with it. but realise heroin or wildlife smuggling, some get caught. then you face the music. a prudent person would not post on a public forum they have smuggled wildlife in the past and got away with it, and plan on doing again.

18. Eva

Eva New Member

Anyone know the export law for shipping leather, like say a leather hand bag or somesuch? I don't think it counts as wildlife if it's from a domestic cow/bull. Doesn't seem like anyone is getting special permits to sell/ship a few purses out of country. Should they be?
    -Eva

19. naturesmirror

naturesmirror New Member

well thats what I was kind of thinking,

I know there are plenty of souveniers sold here (eg deer antler products), stuff made form feathers, dream catchers made form leather and fur and feathers. Even full skins and skulls.

You don't have to declare them until your on the incoming side of the airport.

But Im nto sure not with what Bob has said, I didin't realise I was doing the wrong thing and I am looking more carefully into it

20. bob wendt

best thing to do is call usfws and ask them . on the net here none of us are usfws officers.